Tuesday, June 11, 2019

The Nine Billion Names of God

The Nine Billion Names of God is a 1953 science fiction short story by Arthur C. Clarke. I still clearly remember the first time I read it. "Memorable" doesn't begin to describe it. You can read it online here or here. It begins,
“This is a slightly unusual request,” said Dr. Wagner, with what he hoped was commendable restraint. “As far as I know, it’s the first time anyone’s been asked to supply a Tibetan monastery with an Automatic Sequence Computer. I don’t wish to be inquisitive, but I should hardly have thought that your — ah — establishment had much use for such a machine. Could you explain just what you intend to do with it?”

“Gladly,” replied the lama, readjusting his silk robes and carefully putting away the slide rule he had been using for currency conversions. “Your Mark V Computer can carry out any routine mathematical operation involving up to ten digits. However, for our work we are interested in letters, not numbers. As we wish you to modify the output circuits, the machine will be printing words, not columns of figures.”

“I don’t quite understand....”

“This is a project on which we have been working for the last three centuries — since the lamasery was founded, in fact. It is somewhat alien to your way of thought, so I hope you will listen with an open mind while I explain it.”

“Naturally.”

“It is really quite simple. We have been compiling a list which shall contain all the possible names of God.”

*******

ATCs:

Please join the weekly T Stands for Tuesday blogger gathering. Share a drink in your blog post and link to the party. You'll get a warm welcome. My drink reference is in the first ATC below.

Beverages:


Abstract:




Lace or Pearls:


Contrast:


Opposites:


Yellow:


M:


Automobile:


Stars:


Random (not from a prompt):


Memphis:


Lesson learned this week: Using Mod Podge takes practice.

24 comments:

  1. I love Arthur C. Clarke, but have never heard of this one. Your champagne looks great for T this week.

    I am NOT a fan of Mod Podge. It never totally dries and if you use it in art you mail, it often sticks to things you mailed when it gets hot in the USPS vans. When I was hosting swaps in the past, people would send tip-ins that were covered in Mod Podge and they would all stick together in a big lump of unremovable messes. If I tried to gently pull the tip-ins apart, I often tore them. I started asking people to put wax paper between their art if they used Mod Podge. It didn't solve the problem completely, but I had less frustration when trying to pull the tip-ins apart.

    Love the champagne and Memphis ATCs this week, as well as opposites. Thanks for sharing these with us for T this Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, bummer! Thank you for that heads-up. I'll not send an ATC for the upcoming swap that uses Mod Podge. Is there a good alternative? I've heard the brand name Liquitex. Does that do better?

      Delete
  2. Sounds like an interesting story. Love the ATCs. The Blue Moon made me smile thinking about the comments from the Moon Pie thread on FB :-D Happy T Day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Mars Pie" lol! I get such a kick out of some of the politically-based humor, and that the Moon Pie company responded was wonderful.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a fun story, if only I had more time to read all these stories on my list. Lovely ATCs. I use a medium which calls itself 'art potch' and it is fabulous, never sticks, dries quickly and is cheap and cheerful. I know the home made mod-podge concoctions are always sticky. Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm googling 'art potch', but it looks like it's unavailable in the states. At least not through Amazon.

      I'm trying a texture paste that's homemade, but I'm not brave enough to try a homemade Mod Podge substitute lol I'm looking for store-bought options.

      Delete
  4. wow, a lot of ATCs this week, can´t find a favorite. but i can see you had a lot of fun:) happy t-day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx! Yes, my goal is to try for variety. I tend to get stuck in a sameness, and I'm trying to break out of that :)

      Delete
  5. You are certainly have fun with ATC. I like the idea of this short story. Yes so many names ... so many wars over which ONE is the correct one ... puzzle for all times, unless the answer is truly 42.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, perhaps 42 was one of the names. But I guess we'll never know now ;)

      Delete
  6. That short story has an intriguing beginning. I've saved the links so that I can read the whole thing. (You've gotten me reading again, which I appreciate.) Lovely assortment of ATCs. Your creative juices were flowing this week. I especially liked Yellow and Memphis. Happy T-Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I spent a part of my youth immersed in religion-themed science fiction. I've been pleased to see some of those old stories available online, because I didn't keep most of my short story collections.

      Delete
  7. Wonderful ATC's again this week, you are going to have a fantastic collection. I liked the Opposites, the Blue moon and of course those glasses of wine looked super..
    Happy T day wishes.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous ATCs! I love all the different styles and mediums that you used to create them, it looks like you had so much fun creating all the different designs 😁. Thanks for recommending the short story, it must be fab if it's more than memorable! Wishing you a very happy T Tuesday! Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous5:37 PM

    I _really_ like the Lace and Blu Moon!
    --A Pal

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great ATCs! Blur moon was my favorite, but all were great! I bookmarked the story. Thanks & Happy T Day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Belated T Day! I got home last night and didn't get back onto the computer. Cheers to you. Loving those ATC's. I look forward to seeing them. And I wanted to mentioned I had a student visitor the other day at school. The student was visiting as he is moving here from Memphis.It is a small world, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! I hope he has fond memories of us and has wonderful new adventures in his new home :)

      Delete
  12. Love the variety in your ATC's. You are really prolific!
    Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. More fascinating and lovely ATCs, D. I gasped when I read you use Mod Podge. Then I read Elizabeth's comment. I feel exactly the same. I started out with Mod Podge like everyone else and finaly went look for something better. I use gel medium now. What a huge improvement!

    Happy T-day! Eileen xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll look up gel medium. It's comforting to hear I'm not alone in my Mod Podge troubles. Thx!

      Delete
  14. What a strange little story!
    Glad to see that somebody has been able to play with their art supplies!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've started keeping every catalog that comes lol

      Delete
  15. This may be an interesting story !! I adooooore your Atc´s!! they are gorgeous all!! ♥ You always amaze me with your fantastic designs!!
    I wish you a very nice new week, and send
    Big hugs, Caty

    ReplyDelete