Sunday, June 02, 2019

Bloody New Year

Bloody New Year is a 1987 British horror film about a group of teenagers trapped in a haunted hotel on an island where it's always New Year's Eve, 1959. I avoid anything related to time travel, time warps, etc. For that and other reasons this is not my thing at all. And it makes no sense, or at least it didn't to me before I gave up on it and left it unfinished.


HorrorNews.net says, "Yes, it is a real mind f*ck at times and some of the scenes are cheesy as hell ... but it is definitely worth a look if you are wanting to see something a little different." Classic-Horror.com calls it, "a modest but entertaining melding of slasher films and more traditional haunted house yarns." Rotten Tomatoes doesn't have a critics rating, and the audience score is 29%.

16 comments:

  1. The plot sounds familiar, like I might've seen this one before, or something similar. I added it to my blog list of movies anyway. When I watch it, if it's bad, I'll just turn it off. (I've had a few so far, that I've done that with, and marked them accordingly in my blog list.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do have to be dreadful for me to give up on them lol I'm so often doing something else while English-language movies are on that the time passes more quickly even with bad movies. Sometimes, though, they are too annoying to leave on.

      Delete
  2. Groundhog Day meets Horror. No wonder you didn't care for it. Probably not my kind of tea (or film), either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This just made no sense at all lol Maybe if I'd stuck with it, but it got to the point that I no longer cared ;)

      Delete
  3. I don't watch movies like this but Hubs enjoys them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like a lot of horror. But not this...

      Delete
  4. If you gave up on it I know I shouldn't even start it--ever. You're the one who likes horror movies--LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was a horror of a different sort ;) horrible lol

      Delete
  5. Sorry, this is definitely not my cup of coffee! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never liked time travel story lines, not even in my Star Trek, The Next Generation, except for the one movie, Ground Hog Day, that makes me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you there. I'm re-watching ST:Voyager right now, and my groans are audible when I realize we're getting one of the time travel/time event episodes. High praise about them would be, "Not bad, considering it involved time travel."

      Delete
  7. I'll pass on this one too, D. It sounds like Ground Hog Day with horror int=stead of humor. Not my thing! Eileen xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you aren't recommending this one as I wasn't going to watch it ...lol... you probably know why by now ...lol 😉. Happy wishes! Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was willing to give it a try, but I sometimes have to remind myself that I don't _have_ to finish a movie just because I started it ;)

      Delete