Friday, June 28, 2019

Hamlet 360: Thy Father’s Spirit

Hamlet 360: Thy Father's Spirit:


from the WGBH web site:
Commonwealth Shakespeare Company has taken Shakespeare’s most iconic play to meet the cutting edge of immersive storytelling in Hamlet 360: Thy Father’s Spirit, embracing the immersive power of VR to plunge viewers into Hamlet’s harrowing journey. This cinematic 360-degree adaptation explores new dimensions of the medium by casting the viewer as the Ghost of Hamlet’s dead father. Giving them this role as an omniscient observer, guide and participant, lends viewers a sense of agency and urgency throughout the 60-minute experience.
Hamlet has been adapted for film before, of course. Lawrence Olivier was Hamlet in 1948. In 1990 Mel Gibson starred in a Franco Zeffirelli film. There are about 50 others. I'd much rather see a play than read it, so I enjoy having a choice in adaptations.

6 comments:

  1. My favorite adaptation was 1973 by Hallmark Hall of Fame starring Richard Chamberlain. 💕 The production was staged in Edwardian costume

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That one's still on my to-be-watched list.

      Delete
    2. Hallmark doesn't seem to have that available in their collection. I've looked )-:

      Delete
  2. I didn't much care for it. Every time I tried to use the interactive 360, it took me out of the scene and showed other videos I might enjoy watching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't have trouble with it, though it's not by far my favorite adaptation. I wonder what it'd be like with actual VR equipment. I'm sorry it didn't work for you.

      Delete
  3. I clicked the link that you shared to read the rest. It was a pleasant read and I'm glad you shared.

    ReplyDelete