Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Walden, a Game

image from the screenshot gallery at the WaldenGame website

I don't have a competitive bone in my body, so games and organized group activities have always been an interesting experience for me. They so often seem to have winners and losers. People have even turned children's Halloween parties into events where costumes are judged and winners announced. I've been surprised to see that the art/craft challenges on the internet sometimes have prizes for judged winners. Video games are usually no different, with most of the games I see being heavy on the competition components.

I stay on the look-out for video games that don't have contests, races, timed puzzles to solve, and ranked participants -more exploration-based and cooperative games. That's how I found Walden, a Game. From their website:
Walden, a game is an exploratory narrative and open world simulation of the life of American philosopher Henry David Thoreau during his experiment in self-reliant living at Walden Pond. The game begins in the summer of 1845 when Thoreau moved to the Pond and built his cabin there.

Players follow in his footsteps, surviving in the woods by finding food and fuel and maintaining their shelter and clothing. At the same time, players are surrounded by the beauty of the woods and the Pond, which hold a promise of a sublime life beyond these basic needs. The game follows the loose narrative of Thoreau’s first year in the woods, with each season holding its own challenges for survival and possibilities for inspiration.

The audience for the game is broad: from experimental game players to lovers of Thoreau and Transcendental literature. As such, the game offers more opportunities for reflective play than strategic challenge. The piece has a subtle narrative arc, in homage to the original text, which is not an adventure of the body pitted against nature, but of the mind and soul living in nature over the course of a New England year.
Wikipedia has an article which describes the praise the game has received.

Here's the trailer:



Smithsonian Magazine has an article, as does NPR.

I keep forgetting to play, being out of the habit of video games, but I'm thoroughly enjoying it. To be honest, I wish it were even less structured and had fewer timed activities, but nothing's perfect.

I never play a video game (or any game, for that matter), watch a movie or TV show, or read a book without having a cuppa close at hand. Today mine is coffee:


and I share it to join in the T Stands for Tuesday blogger gathering hosted by Bleubeard and Elizabeth. The pansy mug is one I only use during the winter when pansies are everywhere, especially in commercial and professionally landscaped residential beds.

I even made a pecan pie, and if I cut pieces small enough I think there'll be plenty for everybody:


That's one-eighth of a pie, and I could do fine with half that much. Join me?

*******
I have a few ATCs to share today. The first few were inspired by both the Geometric Shapes challenge and the Squares theme.

For this one I used a crossword puzzle for the background -lots of squares there. I filled in one word and added a definition from a dictionary that isn't complete enough to use for its intended purpose. Then I made a ribbon crossing, where the crossing is a square.


No matter how much I played with GIMP I couldn't get the horizontal ribbon's pattern/texture to show up at all. At this point I've uninstalled GIMP and am looking into some other free and easy options. The next image was scanned but not edited.

In it, I cut out a part of a window from a magazine and tried to make an interior scene using only squares:


The picture on the wall was cut from a Christmas card. The vase was cut from a piece of newsprint and then dabbed with square-shaped watercolor touches. The flower stems were pieces of metallic edging and the flower was cut from ribbon.

Having installed Paint.net. I'll try it and see if I like it well enough or if I want to try Fotor or Photoscape. Those get good reviews, too. This next ATC is made of squares. I watercolored a base card and let it dry. Then I painted lines to make squares to cover the card. At the top left of the card I layered square pieces in diminishing sizes of  (bottom to top) a Christmas card, an index card, felt, a one-inch square of card divided into four squares with watercolors, and a square button hand-sewn on. I marked off a two-inch square with silver edging.




The button kept the card from being in focus, and I sharpened the focus in the Paint.net program. This was easy to use. So far so good.

Another "Squares" card:


is a throw-back to many a fond game of Four Square I enjoyed as an elementary school-aged child. The background was cut from a magazine, and the gray squares from another ATC background. I hadn't realized how much the wrinkles in the gray pieces would show up, but you live and learn, right? The playground ball is made from tissue paper glued to card and then to an accordion-folded piece meant to give the ball some lift.

Because it had been such a long time since I last did any coloring, I decided the Squares theme would be a good place to see if I could still color inside the lines:


I made a background with graph paper and colored squares on it with Prismacolor colored pencils. I like these pencils, but I think there may be some other tools out there that might also be fun to try. I could've gotten better coverage, I'm sure, but somehow I was done with this one.

The next ATC:


is in response to a landscape/cityscape idea I saw here. The card base is cut from a magazine. I added ribbons and elastic on the left and then added hand-sewn "windows" in white thread to the top ribbon to turn them into skyscrapers. The moon and star were in a bag of bits I have in a cabinet. The word "BLUES" came from some Memphis promotional material. I sharpened the focus in the new Paint.net program.

I did two landscapes, the first with one of those old school supply watercolor sets:


I wish I could do more with watercolors, and I'll be looking for some short Youtube tutorials sometime.

and another by cutting flowing shapes and layering them:


and then I added some "trees" to the foreground using sticks from the patio. I do not actually enter any of these challenges but just use them for inspiration. I don't like contests or competitions or awards or any of that, but who can complain that I use the challenges as personal inspiration.

I am thoroughly enjoying making these ATCs and am already thinking about how to do more. I'm saving the card images in a folder on my computer and the originals are in a notebook in trading card storage pages. Happy T Tuesday, and thank you for introducing me to this doable little art form.



24 comments:

  1. I used to be very competitive when I was young. Now, that edge isn't so important maybe due to age or wisdom. I like casual games on the computer and if there is a time element I tend to ignore it. I have been to the Walden Pond and Thoreau (though his name was pronounced Thorough) would have liked the non-hurried aspect of the game. Your cup is so pretty. I love pansies with their expressive faces. And who could say no to a slice of pecan pie? Not only did you provide a lovely snack, but such delicious eye candy. Your ATC are wonderful. My favorite is the last one, the landscape. I love the texture. It reminds me of the dunes with their stiff grasses at some beaches down Cape Cod. Have a very Happy T Day

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning-wow your atc's are amazing!
    Sometimes i think thee is just too much competition in the world now-I have never played a video game but this one doesn't sound like a game so was interesting. I love those pour overs-when I could drink caffeine that was my favorite way to make coffee-always so smooth.
    thanks for sharing all of your art with us Happy T hugs Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh and a small piece of pie sounds delicious this morning-we love pie for breakfast

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like you have been having lots of fun with your video game and ATC creations! The video game sounds more about tactics then competitiveness which I love ๐Ÿ˜. I always enjoy taking part in blog challenges as it gives me some fabulous inspiration for my pages and you get to meet like-minded crafty people ๐Ÿ˜€. I'm loving your ATC's too, the watercolour one is so bright and beautifully painted, your cityscape one looks regal with the blues and gold colour palette and the last one of your collage scene is amazing too! I'm so glad you enjoy creating the ATCs and that you are sharing them with us ๐Ÿ˜. Happy T Tuesday! J ๐Ÿ˜Š x

    ReplyDelete
  5. ... meant to add that your pansy mug is beautiful, perfect for winter! J ๐Ÿ˜Š x

    ReplyDelete
  6. haven't played any kind of video games in years -since our son was young and wanted another player:) Don't know that I could forage and survive the woods although in the beginning of the video here it looked quite nice.Loving the variety of styles of your ATCs-well done! Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. never played a video game in my life - and i´m not eager to play one. more fun to play with my art-making stuff:) yes, a slice of the pecan pie would be welcome, and thanks for the refill at my mug;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great ATCs and I love your super mug! I have watched Walden at Netflix recently - gorgeous film!Loved Thoreau's book as well!

    Happy T-Day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Walden video game you found sounds interesting. I don't know how the Pilgrims survived when they first came to New England. I know I wouldn't make it if I had to forage for my own food and stay warm during these bitterly cold winters. Your ATCs look lovely. Your watercolor landscape is great. I'm sorry to hear you had problems with GIMP. I use it, but I didn't know it had a ribbon pattern. I'm going to add the other free tools that you mentioned to a list I have on my blog. (I have links to lots of things on it, and add new things when I hear about them.) Happy T-Day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the art you've been making, looks like you are having fun. I've never played a video game, although Walden sounds interesting. And I won't say no to coffee and pecan pie! Happy t day, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your ATCs are fabulous, C! And to think you're new to them. I can hardly believe that. They're so varied and have great composition.

    I've never been competitive (except with myself ;-). If I ever try video games, Walden would be of interest. I loved the trailer. So far, I've avoided the video game bug (grin).

    Happy T-day! Hugs, Eileen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found out about them back when Elizabeth did a swap, but I quit making them as soon as the swap was done. I've learned about so many interesting art-related activities from y'all, but ATCs are my favorite so far. I've decided to make ATC creation a regular activity :)

      Delete
  12. Your game sounds interesting. I never thought I was competitive until recently. Our family plays a game every Friday evening and I have to say I hate to lose. Enjoy your game.
    Wonderful atc's.
    Happy Tea Day,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never played video games, although the one you mentioned here sounds interesting.
    Your ATC's look fantastic and all so different and creative, I was drawn to the water colour ATC, its beautiful.
    Happy T day wishes and keep on enjoying making your lovely ATC's.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have to keep notes when visiting the T Gang. Someone shared a book and now you are sharing this game. My 48 year old son will love this! He has hiked the AT several times and in fact lives in the Maine woods on a pond.
    Great ATCs; I especially like the crosswords puzzle one! Happy T Day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous2:50 PM

    I think your artworks are nifty.
    And... the mug is a favorite.
    --A Pal

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have heard of this game but I don't know much about it as I never got into video games. I find it interesting that there is almost a cult following for Thoreau. Maybe I need to reread some of his works to get into it, but then I am not very philosophical. But I must say I just love your ATCs today. They are so much. And I will split that piece of pecan pie with you. I love pecan pie, but it is rather sweet so a few bites will do it. I would make one myself but no one else in my house likes it. Why, I don't understand. Happy T day. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fun crafting. I like the sounds of the Walden's Pond game. I'm not a game player at all, not cards, nor board games & I find most video games too violent for my tastes. But I do come from a family of very competitive game players. Even crib is a contest or should I say a battle ...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh your ATCs are great. You really have got the bug now haven't you.
    I like your daisy mug.
    And the Walden games sounds like something I would enjoy. I, like you, am not competitive at all, and I only play gentle games. My hubby and I have been playing Elvenar, a fantasy city building game at our own pace, since August 2017 and we still love it. I will have a look at this Walsen game. By the way,. I don't know Walden, or have read his books, but the game sounds nice.
    I have now learnt that one can’t do comments on an ipad, so I apologise for all those occasions that I appear not to have commented (I always do) and from now on I will use my desk top computer even if it means being a day late as we are always away on Tuesdays.
    Belated happy T-Day,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you for joining T yesterday. I'm so pleased you showed up, even though I was unavailable. Please check my Wednesday post I still haven't written to see where I have been. Thanks, too, for your daily visits and kind comments while I was away. I'll be back soon to visit and see what I have missed. For now, just be aware, I am so grateful for your visit and continued support of T Tuesday, dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I don't know much about video games but I do know I like challenges.....mainly the kind where I take part but occasionally if the theme appeals I enter those that will have a 'prize'. Partly this is because I don't seem to have the time for many challenges these days!! We play scrabble with friends some weeks but I am usually more pleased if I get an unusual word rather than one with high points!! I love your ATCs - all such original ideas, I haven't made an ATC for a while but I do like to make them! The Pecan pie looks delicious but I'd better not, coffee in a pansy cup...now that does look beautiful! Belated Happy T day. BTW There are a couple of Garden Centres with craft shops not so far away - one better then the other even though it is the same company! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  21. As promised, I'm back. I'm not a video game player, but I love board games.

    I want to begin by saying how much I LOVE your ATCs. I really like what you have done and am so glad you got rid of Gimp. I have to use it to print, because Photoshop (and WordPerfect) are on a virtual disk on my computer. It's the only way Scott could get my printers to work. But I can't make it do anything other than print. I wish I could send you Photoshop. I know a lot of people say it's hard to learn, but it's intuitive to me.

    BTW, I wanted to warn you. ATCs are NOT acceptable at Art Journal Journey. I added that to my post today after I read your comment. Your pages must be at least 4.1 x 5.8 inches to qualify for AJJ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I don't enter the challenges anyway and always read the rules. I still use them as inspiration here, though, and link back to them as the source for my inspiration, but I don't link at any of the challenges themselves. There's one challenge out there that doesn't accept any papercrafting art at all lol, but I still use their prompts as ATC inspiration. They'll never even know ;)

      Delete