Thursday, January 03, 2019

The House by the Cemetery

The House by the Cemetery is a 1981 Italian horror film directed by Lucio Fulci. I can't recommend it. It's bizarrely ruined by the music if nothing else. Perhaps the worst score I remember made it all but unwatchable for me. And if you can get past that, you have to try to make sense of the plot.

via Youtube:



Slant Magazine
has a 3.5 out of 5 rating, calls it "Prime real estate for the horror film aficionado," and says it has "the capacity to burrow under your skin and plumb deep into your unconscious." Classic-Horror.com calls it "horror exploitation at its best". Horror Freak News has a positive review. Horrorpedia has a thorough plot description. Rotten Tomatoes has an audience rating of 49%.

12 comments:

  1. I'll take your word for it and pass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Them that likes it speak well of it, as the saying goes ;) It has its fans, but I'm not among them.

      Delete
  2. I am a Hallmark movie girl lol but Hubs would enjoy this-why we have two tv's lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband and I are that same way. Our tastes differ on a lot of things. We come together for those PBS mysteries like Morse and Vera lol

      Delete
  3. I'm not a horror film lady. I will skip this one. But I was reading Kathy's comment and your reply and that is true in my house too. But sometimes the hubby surprises me and likes something I don't expect him to. Hope the new year is treating you well so far. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a higher tolerance for horror, while my hubby prefers comedy. Opposites attract :) Yes, I'm sticking with my resolutions so far, which may not be saying much but is better than some years lol

      Delete
  4. I will pass, too. I saw your comment to Kathy. I wish the (PBS) would show Morse again. I miss him SO much, but I love Endeavour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We picked up Morse on DVD as we found it used at a local store, so we have most of them. I don't know why they don't show them more often. You know those British comedies are getting old when you can recite the lines along with the actors lol

      Delete
  5. I'll definitely pass on this one. Annoying music bothers me. There are youtubers who play music too loudly while they are talking and it drives me to click them off. If they at least played it very softly--good grief.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This music is a show unto itself! I couldn't figure out how it connected with the movie at all.

      I've started following a few Youtube artist channels and have been glad that so far irritating music isn't a problem :)

      Delete
  6. Thanks, I'll take a cup of coffee instead! But Morse or Vera would be fine, too! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll join your for coffee and a British mystery. Much better :)

      Delete