Monday, January 21, 2019

Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World

Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World is a 2003 film based on three of the novels in author Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey–Maturin series. It stars Russell Crowe and Paul Bettany and is directed by Peter Weir. The film takes place at sea during the Napoleonic War. I thoroughly enjoyed this.

trailer:


The New York Times calls it a "stupendously entertaining movie". The Guardian concludes, "Weir constructs a thrilling, forthright adventure, and the realer-than-real battle effects are simply breathtaking." Rolling Stone gives it 3.5 out of 4 stars and closes by saying, "A babe-free [there are no female cast members], big-budget film ($135 million) that takes the high road is always a risk. But Master and Commander rides that road to glory."

Roger Ebert gives it 4 out of 4 stars and describes it as:
an exuberant sea adventure told with uncommon intelligence; we're reminded of well-crafted classics before the soulless age of computerized action. Based on the beloved novels of Patrick O'Brian, it re-creates the world of the British navy circa 1805 with such detail and intensity that the sea battles become stages for personality and character. They're not simply swashbuckling -- although they're that, too, with brutal and intimate violence.
Rotten Tomatoes has an average critics rating of 85%.

18 comments:

  1. I'm not a huge Russell Crowe fan, but I really liked this movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My younger son recommended it as an adventure story, and I didn't know who was in it 'til it started. I thought it was enjoyable, and I may even pick up the first of the books sometime because of this film.

      Delete
  2. This is one of my husband's favorite films. I enjoyed it also. For awhile after he watches it (which he does on occasion) he has to inform us he is master and commander. With a big grin. We just roll our eyes. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love those "in" references families develop over time. Fun! :)

      Delete
  3. I must check with Mr Man to see if he's seen this Russell Crowe movie. Other than Galidator, I'm not a huge Russell fan. He looks younger in this clip than movies I'm familiar with so maybe he hasn't gotten rather full of himself (col).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a wonderful sea-faring adventure tale. I'd forgotten Crowe was in Gladiator lol

      Delete
  4. I was surprised to read there were no female cast members, but I guess war is not for the "fairer" sex (gender).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was quite natural in this movie, few women going to sea in ships like this. I find it annoying when movies shoe-horn female characters into settings they'd never have been part of.

      Delete
  5. This was quite a movie! One I might watch again one day even. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'd be up for watching it again, too :)

      Delete
  6. I actually saw this film , and even enjoyed it! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I missed it when it came out but am glad I've seen it :)

      Delete
  7. I'm a Russell Crowe fan, and enjoyed this film immensely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think everybody's good in this. The character interactions always seem spot-on.

      Delete
  8. Mr Man has seen & owns a copy of Master & Commander! Who knew? While there are 2 scenes in Gladiator that I have never seen nor will - too violent, I count this movie as a favourite, I like the story, I like how he leads & does what is right no matter the cost. I cry at the end every time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only seen Gladiator once, and I don't remember much about it at this point. I like how the characters in Master and Commander aren't sugar-coated and the superstitions are part of even the captain's worldview.

      Delete
  9. i enjoyed donna leon´s venice book series... but i think it is heartbreaking that she decided not to live there any longer because of the overtourism. i think it is a crime to let all the cruise liners into the city. i´ve been there several times for the biennale 25/30 years ago. i would love to re-visit, but i hardly dare...
    have a great week:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wikipedia says she's only there one week a month and doesn't say why she left. That's a shame. I hadn't realized they let those big cruise ships into the city. How can there be room enough for them? :(

      Delete