Tuesday, January 08, 2019

Figure at a Table

Figure at a Table:


by Anne Redpath, who died on January 7, 1965.  In this 30-minute documentary:



Actor and writer Michael Palin travels to the French Riviera in search of the Mediterranean view on his wall captured by his favourite artist- Scottish painter Anne Redpath. His journey takes him from a London bank to Edinburgh -via a millionaire's chateau in Cap Ferrat and a Carthusian monastery.
I'm linking this post at the T Stands for Tuesday blogger gathering, where you'd be welcome to join us by sharing a post with a drink in it.

In this new year I'm trying to participate in some kind of regular art activity and thought I'd share my efforts on Tuesdays since most of the T Tuesday people are creative and artistic and might have some reflections on my beginning attempts. I've subscribed to a Youtube channel that offers a "Pick A Stick Challenge" -this is their January challenge:


This is my interpretation:


Because the color is white it's hard to see, but I placed a toothpick under this grimy bit of paper napkin. Then I tore a piece left over from making the ATC base card and glued it diagonally across the top. I'll be learning a new vocabulary, I can tell that already, because I had to look up what "reduction" meant in an artistic sense. I'm still not clear on that.

I thought I'd try the Geometric Shapes prompt at Art Journal Journey  and using a 5x8 index card as a base I created a soccer field:


Moo-Mania had a fish theme, and I made this Gone Fishin' ATC to go along with that one:


I cut out a section of a magazine photo for the background. The sun is made from a scrap of yellow index card, the fish is cut from an empty tissue box, the fishing pole is the end of a toothpick, and the fishing line is yellow thread.

I like the low-key nature of these challenges, and I look forward to stepping out of my comfort zone during the coming year.


18 comments:

  1. Well call me "impressed"! You are on an artistic roll with your ATC's. They are fun to make, don't take much in the way of supplies and you don't need much room to store them. I'll be watching for more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I've seen Michael Palin talk about art before. Well done on your ATC. I love the minimalist look of the white ATC and I had to look up reduction as used in art too. Your soccer field reminded me of (endless) hours shuttling the Young One to soccer practice and games. I wonder if it's ok to admit that I used to pray for thunder so the game would be cancelled and I could be home getting things done. Gone fishing made me smile. I'd like to be by a lake on a sun-shiny day. One fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish. You caught one! Happy T Day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey, good resolution to take part in some challenges, that will bring you a lot of joy! happy t-day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous painting! The pattern detail of her skirt is amazing 😁. Wow, you have created so many amazing creations! I'm loving your creativity and you have interpretated the different themes beautifully! I can't wait to see more 😁. Wishing you a very happy T Tuesday! Creative wishes! J 😊 x

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful painting with the woman at the table. She has a lovely skirt.
    I will definitely have a look at the Michael Palin video. I like him a lot and I have never seen him talk about art. (I've seen only the travel videos).
    Well done you for starting to make ATCs. The white one is beautiful. I wouldn't know what reduction is either, so there's another thing to look up....
    Happy T-Day,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting video and always good to see Michael Pailin stuff

    Your artwork is very good

    Have a happy T Day
    Love Chrissie xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy New Year- and it's started on a very artistic note I see:) Fun collage art ATCs! Nothing like challenges to keep one going. Thanks for sharing this video-very interesting-especially since France is involved;) Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely art from you, and great to see the painting from Redpath. Happy T Day, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh - I will watch this Michael Palin Video! I so like him and love his travel videos. I am not sure I have seen it yet. Thank you!!!
    And what a surprise for me today! You are with us at Art Journal Journey and Moo Mania & More!
    Thank you very much. Both of your collages are smart and clever!
    Happy T-Day and thank you for sharing your art at MM&M and AJJ!
    Much appreciated!

    Big hugs,
    Susi

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good morning I really enjoyed the video about the painting.
    and thank you for the youtube video about the art-I just subscribed to her sounds inspiring-thanks so much for that-I am mostly a fiber artist but I like a little paper too
    Happy T Hugs Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Look at you being so artistic!! I love your ATC with the tooth pick, very clever idea.
    Happy T-day

    ReplyDelete
  12. You and CJ are not the only ones who had to look up reduction in art. I didn't know the term, either. You did well with that ATC.

    That painting is fabulous. The skirt reminds me of crocheted granny squares. Beautiful choice for T this Tuesday, too.

    I'm delighted to see you are joining us at Art Journal Journey, too. That is a great first entry, dear. I'm glad we "artist" types are rubbing off on you, and both your AJJ and MM&M entries are incredible. You used good balance, clever colors, and I loved that you explained everything you made, too.

    Thanks for this T Tuesday and Art Journal Journey post today! BTW, I went to her Youtube channel and she has TONS of mixed media art I could watch if I ever get the time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Its really lovely seeing your art projects, they look wonderful. Challenges are a super way to get inspired when you see what other folk create as well.
    Happy T day wishes.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I keep forgetting to tell you, I live about (maybe less than) FIVE MILES from downtown, where the Art Museum (WAM) and Botanica are located. I'm sure you would love both and WAM is free every Saturday. Sadly Botanica is never free.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This another fantastic piece of art you are showing us this week. I can't figure out if the woman has a granny afghan on her lap or her skirt is made from a granny afghan material. But either way I like this painting. ANd I do REALLY LOVE your art. And I don't know what a reduction is in the art world either. But I wouldn't let that stop you from playing. Hope it was a happy T day as I am late getting around to comment. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your abstract and minimalist atc's.
    Happy Tea Day,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  17. Always fun to try new art expressions.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You've introduced us to so many fascinating artists and their lives, D, that you've broadened my horizons. But I'm delighted to finally see some of your art! I love your 1st ATC challenge piece. The term "reduction" in art is ambiguous. In my opinion, you hit the nail right on the head. Your card is very pleasing to my eye.

    Yay for stepping outside your comfort zone. You're off to a fabulous start.

    Happy T-day! Hugs, Eileen

    ReplyDelete