Tuesday, January 09, 2024

The Practice of the Presence of God

The Practice of the Presence of God is a book of collected teachings of Brother Lawrence (born Nicolas Herman), a 17th-century Carmelite friar. The compilation includes letters, as well as records of his conversations kept by Brother Lawrence's interlocutors. The basic theme of the book is the development of an awareness of the presence of God. You can read it online here at this link or here at Project Gutenberg or at Internet Archive.
"That he had always been governed by love, without selfish views; and that having resolved to make the love of GOD the end of all his actions, he had found reasons to be well satisfied with his method. That he was pleased when he could take up a straw from the ground for the love of GOD, seeking Him only, and nothing else, not even His gifts."
“We ought not to be weary of doing little things for the love of God, who regards not the greatness of the work, but the love with which it is performed.”

You can listen to it read to you here:


I discovered this book in high school, having come across a little paperback copy somewhere. I've always been interested in spiritual practices, both from my own tradition and from those of others.

Please join me in a cozy beverage:



Post your own drink reference over at the T Stands for Tuesday blogger gathering.

10 comments:

  1. ...neat cup and saucer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a great day, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think my Mom might have had had this book. She had a book of teachings and I'm trying to see the cover in my head. And a square cup That is so cool. Have a great T day Nita.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting and that is a very elegant cup! Happy T-Day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loving your square shaped cup and saucer - perfect 😊. Wishing you a very Happy T Tuesday! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is a statue in the town I lived in MO that has those hands. It is tall, is close to the highway (Route 66), so there is no way you can miss it.

    Your mocha coffee looks good in that square mug, dear Nita. Have you shown it before, or do I know someone else who has one? I love it. Thanks for sharing your book and your coffee with us for T this Tuesday. And please don't forget to share your link.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've shown this one before. I had a day yesterday, finding out The Husband had been exposed to covid the day before and looking up what the current guidelines are. I missed T completely :(

      Delete
  7. I would be happy to come to you for a cozy drink!
    I think it's always a good thing to be guided by love without selfish views, no matter what spiritual tradition you feel connected to.
    I wish you and everyone you love a happy, healthy and peaceful New Year 🍄🍀!
    All the best, Traude
    https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2024/01/rostrosen-weihnachten-2023-tiergarten.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. I might have to take a listen to this. It looks very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous1:55 PM

    I like your cup and saucer.

    All the best Jan
    https://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete