Wednesday, January 03, 2024

The Children (2008)

The Children is a 2008 horror movie that takes place during the Christmas/New Year holiday season. I watched it on Tubi. It's also available free on the Roku channel, on Plex, and on Vudu.

trailer:



The Guardian gives it 4 out of 5 stars and opens their review with this:
A relentless mood of rising hysteria fuels this British horror film, as the children of two families brought together for a quiet Christmas turn into adult-attacking mini-murderers.
Horror News concludes,
The details don’t need to be spelled out to tell ya that the film succeeds not only with a evil children scenario but the way it’s presented, shot, cut and orchestrated. Whether you buy into the concept or not, this is an extremely well done horror film that to me echo’s a sense of time when horror films were still scary.


*******
I bought this nutcracker over 40 years ago at a Christmas shop when The Husband and I were on vacation. I kept it out year 'round at first but at some point started getting it out only at Christmastime. I'm back to leaving it out year 'round now. The shadow box was in my home when I was growing up. Mother had it hung horizontally with a ship displayed in it. When she moved into a senior living apartment she gave it to me.


16 comments:

  1. What a nice way to display a favourite Nutcracker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...and he stands at attention.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I actually just watched this the other day. Love the nutcracker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get the impression we share some tastes in film :)

      Delete
  4. Anonymous10:03 AM

    The Nutcracker is a perpetual favorite of mine...
    -- A Pal

    ReplyDelete
  5. I couldn't sleep for weeks after seeing this film, never again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not sure why but nutcrackers have always been a little creepy to me since I was a child. He is a nice looking one, though, and better that he is your mom's shadowbox. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My first nutcracker experience was at Christmastime on TV. Now they always remind me of Christmas :)

      Delete
  7. He looks great in that niche. I think you should leave him out all year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's the perfect spot :) Nothing else looks as good there.

      Delete
  8. Sounds like a great movie!
    Hehe, my BIL would run from your nutcracker! As child he stuck his finger in it and pressed with the other hand, not getting how it works...

    ReplyDelete