Friday, April 28, 2023

The Red Balloon (1956)

The Red Balloon is an award-winning French fantasy comedy-drama short film. I had this on VHS back when The Kids were little, and I've always adored it. A delightful film. It's available on HBO Max.

via YouTube:


Criterion has a glowing article which says, in part,
The Red Balloon is filled with indelible images, but as I screened it again, I was struck repeatedly by the filmmaker’s use of sound. It’s a nearly wordless film, but it’s not silent. There is Maurice Le Roux’s enchanting score, full of sweet melodies, jaunty strings, mischievous woodwinds and horns, something that sounds like a music box, and surprising moments of panic and fear. Especially lovely is the theme that plays when we first realize that the balloon has a consciousness of its own...

Empire Online describes it as, "A legendary cinematic masterpiece, of course, but also a poignant and magical piece." Rotten Tomatoes has a critics consensus score of 96%.

18 comments:

  1. ...I think that I've heard about this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was popular in some circles when my kids were little.

      Delete
  2. What a delight! Loved the little boy's journey to school with the steam train, all the balloons floating in the sky and the ending is magical 😊. Thanks for sharing. Happy Friday and weekend! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always liked it more than my kids did lol

      Delete
  3. Wonderful film, really something to wtach more than once. Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds vaguely familiar. I think I might have seen it. Now I need to rewatch it to see if that is so. I hope you have a great FRiday. We actually have a sunny start-first day all week with that. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had thunder storms last night and gray skies today. I'd love some of your sunshine.

      Delete
  5. 'I didn't realize it was a full short, even though you mentioned it was a SHORT. DUH!! I'm off to watch it now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's been a long time since I've seen this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too. Decades. We never replaced that VHS.

      Delete
  7. I had never seen this but had heard about somewhere long ago. I liked it but was really upset by the whole gang of relentless mean boys--so I wouldn't really want Ian and Liam to watch it, to be honest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unless they're in school where they have experienced mean bullies, yes, you're right. Best not to expose them.

      Delete
  8. I've always loved this one -- I haven't seen it since French class about ten years ago! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to have reminded you of it :)

      Delete
  9. That was the era of fantastic creativity in the French cinema -- so many great films made back then! Glad to be reminded.
    best,mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to revisit some of the others :)

      Delete