Monday, April 10, 2023

Paisan

Paisan is a 1946 Italian neorealist war drama film directed by Roberto Rossellini. In six independent episodes, it tells of the Liberation of Italy by the Allied forces during the late stage of World War II. The film premiered at the Venice International Film Festival and received numerous national and international prizes including an Academy Award nomination. I'm not much one for war movies, but this is a more personal film that focuses on people and relationships instead of battles. I watched it on HBO Max.

via YouTube:



Criterion calls it "enormously moving". Rotten Tomatoes has a critics consensus score of 100%.

16 comments:

  1. ...you love the old classics :-)) I love them too.
    Many greetings to you.
    Have a happy Easter Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...'46 was a good year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a pretty good film. 100% rating is great, but I am sure the chick-flick lovers wouldn't be watching this. Hope you enjoyed your Easter candy yesterday. (I enjoyed mine-smile)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd be surprised how many people won't watch a black and white film :(

      Delete
  4. Might have to give this one a try

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the film tip - 100% sounds very convincing!
    Happy Easter Monday and a happy new week 🐣🐰🪺!
    All the best from Austria, Traude

    ReplyDelete
  6. If only I had HBO max! I actually like black and white films.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds worth watching, thanks! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds interesting. I don't know much about Italy's war history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only know a bit. My daddy wasn't in Italy during that war.

      Delete