Sunday, April 02, 2023

Mystery Road

Mystery Road is a 2013 award-winning neo-Western-style crime film starring Hugo Weaving. I thoroughly enjoyed this one. The characters are fully-formed, and the plot is engaging. I watched it on Amazon Prime. I would watch the sequel film or the television series, but they're not available on any service we currently subscribe to. We already subscribe to several and are happy with them. I have no interest in adding even more expenses to my entertainment budget.

trailer:



Variety describes it as " An impressively crafted, immensely satisfying contempo thriller that astutely tackles the hot-button issue of tensions between indigenous and European Australians." The Guardian gives it 4 out of 5 stars and offers a thorough plot description. Rotten Tomatoes has a critics consensus score of 92%.

14 comments:

  1. ...Westerns never seem to go out of style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's interesting that other countries have embraced the style.

      Delete
  2. I'm putting this one on my list as I love Westerns. Have a great April 2.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is tricky choosing the right service!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't really do Westerns, perhaps I should try this one. Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This isn't typical of traditional westerns.

      Delete
  5. I've never heard of Hugo Weaving. That usually doesn't happen -- I at least know the name!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weaving is best known as Agent Smith in the Matrix movies and as Elrond in the Lord of the Rings and Hobbit trilogies.

      Delete
  6. I watched this as a series on either BritBox or Acorn. Only two seasons, but I thought it was pretty good. Kind of odd how it seemed like one of our westerns at first but not really similar at all. Aussie cowboys. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The series is on Acorn, which we don't have. I'd watch it given the chance, but I'm not willing to add Acorn.

      Delete
  7. I'm not really into westerns, even though this looks interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Western-style crime film". Quite different from our traditional westerns.

      Delete