Tuesday, April 18, 2023

Modern Times

Modern Times is a 1936 Charlie Chaplin movie. This is the Little Tramp character's last film appearance. Wikipedia says this movie is often hailed as one of Chaplin's greatest achievements, and it remains one of his most popular films. It frequently appears on lists of greatest films ever made. I find it touching, a lovely film that makes you care about the characters and hope they have a happily ever after at the end of the movie. I watched it on HBO Max.

trailer:



In a review on the film's original release The Guardian says,
In Modern Times Chaplin proves again what the whole world already acknowledges - that he is the greatest artist of the silent screen as apart from the half-theatrical talking screen, the most eloquent master of mime, and the simplest, most essential, and most touching of comedians. Unless recent impressions have unbalanced the judgment this would certainly appear to be one of his very best films.
Criterion calls it "a timeless showcase of Chaplin’s untouchable genius". Rotten Tomatoes has a critics consensus score of 98%.

Please join me in sharing a drink reference with the T Stands for Tuesday blogger gathering. Here's mine:

17 comments:

  1. ...I know the name, but never saw it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Charlie Chaplin and his Little Tramp. I haven't seen this movie. I love your blue teacup. The color reminds me of robins eggs. Happy T Day

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that film! It has such a large number of memorable scenes, both funny and full of pathos. I just watched the famous nonsense song — what a masterpiece of pantomime.

    best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't seen any of his movies-I should check them out. Love your cup and saucer-pretty
    Happy T

    ReplyDelete
  5. Charlie Chaplin is a legend, a fantastic actor and mime! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes! I'd forgotten about him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Classic!!
    That tea looks like an interesting oolong. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It has been forever since I've seen this one, too. It really is a gem.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Charlie Chaplin... I really need to see a movie again... Modern Times on Amazon Prime and Arthaus.
    Thank you to you
    Kind regards from Viola

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have never seen this movie, but of course I have heard the name of it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd love to join you and rewatch this film. And you have another pretty cup and saucer too. I hope you had a super T day Nita.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for the tea and the lovely trailer of Charlie Chaplin! So wonderful! Happy T Day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have not seen this one but see others "copying" it, I think. I see The Simpsons in there as Louis de Funès... so, reckon this is a very fine piece... again.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't watched this movie, but I have watched other clips of Charlie Chaplin. Yes, he is a legend. This tea looks interesting too. Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Charlie Chaplin wunderbar... viele Grüsse zu dir. Viola

    ReplyDelete
  16. This tea sounds interesting. I haven't seen many of his films but that would be neat to show them to my Children. I can only imagine their reaction.
    Happy Tea Day,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've not seen the film, but I've read rave reviews about it. Your tea looks interesting. And I LOVE your cup and saucer. Thanks for sharing this film and your tea with us for T this week, dear. In case you didn't see today's post, there was a power outage in my neighborhood and I was without power for nearly 24 hours, which is why I'm late visiting.

    ReplyDelete