Friday, April 14, 2023

Adam's Rib

Adam's Rib is a 1949 romantic comedy/drama directed by George Cukor and starring Spencer Tracy and Katharine Hepburn as lawyers on the opposite sides of a legal case. This is one of those old classics everybody loves, but having seen it I'm not sure what the fuss is all about. That may be because I'm not fond of romantic comedies. It feels dated to me. I watched it on HBO Max.

trailer:



Film Reference opens its consideration with this:
Adam's Rib represents a climax in the evolution of the classic Hollywood screwball comedy. In the 1930s, screwball comedies united antagonistic couples whose clashes revolved around egos, class conflicts, and attitudes about money and values. In the 1940s, screwball comedies replaced these conflicts with ones that revolved around egos and career-marriage decisions. In such films as His Girl Friday, Woman of the Year, Take a Letter, Darling , and They All Kissed the Bride , the comic crises hinged on the heroines' decisions regarding their professional careers and domestic roles. In 1949, George Cukor's Adam's Rib took the familiar marriage-career crisis formula of the screwball comedy to its logical conclusion—a comic study of sex role stereotyping and the invalidity of narrowly defined sex roles.
Filmsite has a detailed plot description. Rotten Tomatoes has a critics consensus score of 96%.

18 comments:

  1. I know this film, and I really like it. Of course I'm a Katherine Hepburn fan, and I think she was even better actress as she got older. Have a great end of the week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you. She had such talent! and I agree she got better the longer she worked.

      Delete
  2. Probably dated by now, but Spence and Hepburn were an item off screen and I think it shows in the movie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, their relationship off-screen adds something to this performance I think.

      Delete
  3. Not my cup of tea! Happy Friday, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...Spencer Tracy and Katharine Hepburn made quite a pair.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes--it would be dated to watch now, thank goodness. Things have changed quite a bit...but still not enough. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It got better but is now quickly sliding backwards :(

      Delete
  6. I know the romance of Hepburn and Tracy turned them into legendary actors and turned their films into ? what ? I don’t know. But I can’t turn time backwards and see what the big deal was. Though sometimes the costuming is irresistible.

    best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I was a kid I wanted to grow up to be Judy Holliday. She was always one of my favorite actresses and she was delightful in this one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bet it feels dated!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never heard of it, so I also have no idea what the fuss is (grin). And I definitely don't like comedies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cukor was brilliant, and he had a great cast to work with here.

      Delete