Sunday, April 16, 2023

El Dorado

El Dorado is a 1966 traditional Western directed by Howard Hawks and starring Robert Mitchum and John Wayne with Paul Fix as the town doctor. James Caan costars. I'm not sure how it happened that I had never seen this movie but am happy to have rectified that. I watched it on Amazon Prime.

via Daily Motion:



Roger Ebert gives it 3 1/2 out of 4 stars and opens with this:
"El Dorado" is a tightly directed, humorous, altogether successful Western, turned out almost effortlessly, it would seem, by three old pros: John Wayne, Robert Mitchum and director Howard Hawks. You could call it, of course a "John Wayne Western." I guess that means it has the Duke in the saddle once again, drawl and all, making his laconic comments on the state of the universe and marching through old Western cliches. But "El Dorado" is more than that. It is a very good John Wayne Western.
Rotten Tomatoes has a critics consensus score of 100%.

16 comments:

  1. I actually watched this one mn, many moons ago! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...three old pros for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know this one. It has a great cast. Too bad women are always portrayed as tough enough to survive the west but weak too. It's the one flaw with most of those traditional westerns.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not a favorite. I'm not a fan of Robert Mitchum

    ReplyDelete
  5. Watched long ago even though not a John Wayne fan...back when the afternoon movies had westerns for a month and we only had five channels to watch--lol! That's when I saw a lot of the old westerns. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Westerns were A Big Deal during my childhood. Sometimes it's all that was on.

      Delete
  6. I'm not a fan of John Wayne. He acted the same in nearly every film I ever saw of him. I think I saw this on TV, because I would never watch it in a theater.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen on John Wayne. He even played that same character in The Greatest Story Ever Told lol

      Delete
  7. I'm not a huge Western fan but Howard Hawks rarely disappoints.

    ReplyDelete