Friday, January 06, 2023

Winter, by Dallas Lore Sharp


Winter is a 1912 book by Dallas Lore Sharp. As a writer he became known through his charming magazine articles on native birds and small mammals and for his books which featured illustrations by American wildlife illustrator Robert Bruce Horsfall as well as artist Elizabeth Myers Snagg. You can read this book online here. It begins,
INTRODUCTION

As in The Fall of the Year, so here in Winter, the second volume of this series, I have tried by story and sketch and suggestion to catch the spirit of the season. In this volume it is the large, free, strong, fierce, wild soul of Winter which I would catch, the bitter boreal might that, out of doors, drives all before it; that challenges all that is wild and fierce and strong and free and large within us, till the bounding red blood belts us like an equator, and the glow of all the tropics blooms upon our faces and down into the inmost of our beings.

Winter within us means vitality and purpose and throbbing life; and without us in our fields and woods it means widened prospect, the storm of battle, the holiness of peace, the poetry of silence and darkness and emptiness and death. And I have tried throughout this volume to show that Winter is only a symbol, that death is only an appearance, that life is everywhere, and that everywhere life dominates even while it lies buried under the winding-sheet of the snow.

“A simple child,
That lightly draws its breath,
What should it know of death?”


Why, this at least, that the winter world is not dead; that the cold is powerless to destroy; that life flees and hides and sleeps, only to waken again, forever stronger than death—fresher, fairer, sweeter for its long winter rest.

But first of all, and always, I have tried here to be a naturalist and nature-lover, pointing out the sounds and sights, the things to do, the places to visit, the how and why, that the children may know the wild life of winter, and through that knowledge come to love winter for its own sake.

And they will love it. Winter seems to have been made especially for children. They do not have rheumatism. Let the old people hurry off down South, but turn the children loose in the snow. The sight of a snowstorm affects a child as the smell of catnip affects a cat. He wants to roll over and over and over in it. And he should roll in it; the snow is his element as it is a polar bear cub’s.

I love the winter, and so do all children—its bare fields, empty woods, flattened meadows, its ranging landscapes, its stirless silences, its tumult of storms, its crystal nights with stars new cut in the glittering sky, its challenge, defiance, and mighty wrath. I love its wild life—its birds and animals; the shifts they make to conquer death. And then, out of this winter watching, I love the gentleness that comes, the sympathy, the understanding! One gets very close to the heart of Nature through such understanding.

Dallas Lore Sharp.

Mullein Hill, March, 1912.
*******

I prefer heat to cold, but that said I don't have a favorite season. I enjoy the changing of the seasons.

20 comments:

  1. Each year I promise to embrace winter more fully. Reading how some do embrace with words encourages me along. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Winters here aren't hard to embrace, but we never get those lovely drifty snows.

      Delete
  2. ...Winter seems to have been made especially for children. How true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad we got a few big snows when I was little.

      Delete
  3. I haven't heard of this author, but his introduction is lovely. Thanks for sharing Nita.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to read more natural history. It's a wonderful way to connect with environments I'mm never experience in person.

      Delete
  4. I wish I had his love of winter. If it just wasn't so darned cold! I'm not familiar with Sharps work but he certainly writes eloquently. (I agree -- winter does seem to have been made for children!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our usual temps this time of year are in the 50s F, so it rarely gets really cold. We fall apart at the seams when it does.

      Delete
  5. I loved snow as a kid. It's not until you grow up and have to deal with shoveling and moving it that snow loses its charm. I wouldn't miss Winter if it was removed from the calendar. 166 days until the Summer Solstice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have never had snow deep enough to shovel.

      Delete
  6. Nicely written! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He can paint a picture with his words, can't he!

      Delete
  7. I can't believe I read this--lol! I thought I'd peek because I do love winter so...and I was transported back to my prairie grass, sand dune, frozen little lake winters growing up where I spent so much of my life outside. At least on the computer I can enlarge the print so it's easier for me to read...but now I must rest my eyes. Am thankful for his winter woodland travels...and I will watch my partridges, small birds, and rabbits come at dusk this very cold winter to gobble down sustenance. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'll never experience (well, most likely won't) winters like this. Seeing photos of winters where you are is a revelation. So much snow!

      Delete
  8. My winters are much harsher than yours, but my summers might be more brutal, too. I can layer in winter, but can't remove too much and still be legal when I go outside. Give me spring and autumn, please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know much about y'all's summers. I generally stay in when the winter gets too cold, but I relish our hot humid summers.

      Delete
  9. Yes, my Nieces LOVE winter. Me... not so much and I hated it when I had to drive through country roads in it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's awful when you have to drive in it. I'm glad I can stay home.

      Delete
  10. So nicely written :)

    Children do seem to enjoy winter, especially if there is snow on the ground.
    My two favourite seasons are Spring and Autumn.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snow that's fun to play in is a highlight of winter :)

      Delete