Thursday, January 12, 2023

Portrait of a Lady on Fire

Portrait of a Lady on Fire is an award-winning 2019 French historical romantic drama film set in France in the late 18th century. I watched it on Hulu.

trailer:



Criterion describes it as a "sumptuous eighteenth-century romance from CĂ©line Sciamma, one of contemporary French cinema’s most acclaimed auteurs". The Guardian gives it 5 out of 5 stars. Empire Online closes a glowing review by calling it a "sacred love poem to take with you for the rest of your life". Rotten Tomatoes has a critics consensus score of 97%.

21 comments:

  1. This sounds interesting. I like checking out foreign films when I get around to watching TV. We've been watching Star Trek Strange New Worlds. I like it. Happy Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was happy with Strange New Worlds. I thought they id a great job.

      Delete
  2. I like period pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad today in most countries this is no issue anymore. It must´ve been sad and tough...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and it's still an issue in many places over here.

      Delete
  4. I'm not big on romance, so I'll not even be tempted to sign up for Hulu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I avoid "romance" like the plague.

      Delete
  5. Not ure it'sm y thingand I don't have hulu but...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're enjoying Hulu. Things change, though, and we re-evaluate every once in a while.

      Delete
  6. Glad you enjoyed this beautiful film! Hugs Jo x

    ReplyDelete