Tuesday, January 03, 2023

The Last Dream of Old Oak

The Last Dream of Old Oak is a seasonal short story by Hans Christian Andersen. You can read it online here or here or listen to it read to you at the bottom of this post. It begins,
In the forest, high up on the steep shore, and not far from the open seacoast, stood a very old oak-tree. It was just three hundred and sixty-five years old, but that long time was to the tree as the same number of days might be to us; we wake by day and sleep by night, and then we have our dreams. It is different with the tree; it is obliged to keep awake through three seasons of the year, and does not get any sleep till winter comes. Winter is its time for rest; its night after the long day of spring, summer, and autumn. On many a warm summer, the Ephemera, the flies that exist for only a day, had fluttered about the old oak, enjoyed life and felt happy and if, for a moment, one of the tiny creatures rested on one of his large fresh leaves, the tree would always say, “Poor little creature! your whole life consists only of a single day. How very short. It must be quite melancholy.”

“Melancholy! what do you mean?” the little creature would always reply. “Everything around me is so wonderfully bright and warm, and beautiful, that it makes me joyous.”

“But only for one day, and then it is all over.”

“Over!” repeated the fly; “what is the meaning of all over? Are you all over too?”

“No; I shall very likely live for thousands of your days, and my day is whole seasons long; indeed it is so long that you could never reckon it out.”

“No? then I don’t understand you. You may have thousands of my days, but I have thousands of moments in which I can be merry and happy. Does all the beauty of the world cease when you die?”

“No,” replied the tree; “it will certainly last much longer,— infinitely longer than I can even think of.” “Well, then,” said the little fly, “we have the same time to live; only we reckon differently.” And the little creature danced and floated in the air, rejoicing in her delicate wings of gauze and velvet, rejoicing in the balmy breezes, laden with the fragrance of clover-fields and wild roses, elder-blossoms and honeysuckle, from the garden hedges, wild thyme, primroses, and mint, and the scent of all these was so strong that the perfume almost intoxicated the little fly. The long and beautiful day had been so full of joy and sweet delights, that when the sun sank low it felt tired of all its happiness and enjoyment. Its wings could sustain it no longer, and gently and slowly it glided down upon the soft waving blades of grass, nodded its little head as well as it could nod, and slept peacefully and sweetly. The fly was dead.

“Poor little Ephemera!” said the oak; “what a terribly short life!” And so, on every summer day the dance was repeated, the same questions asked, and the same answers given. The same thing was continued through many generations of Ephemera; all of them felt equally merry and equally happy.

The oak remained awake through the morning of spring, the noon of summer, and the evening of autumn; its time of rest, its night drew nigh—winter was coming.

...



I was always more a Grimms' Tales fan and never did embrace Hans Christian Andersen to that degree. Andersen does seem to have more winter season-specific tales, though.

Have a cozy cuppa:


and join me at Elizabeth's T Stands for Tuesday blogger gathering.

19 comments:

  1. ...a name that I remember.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also was more of a Grimm Brother's fan, but yesterday when we put our holiday boxes back in the attic I did find my old childhood book of Hans Christian Andersen's fairy tales. I pulled out. Time to give them a try again. Happy T day Nita.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are interesting tales!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Hans Christian Andersen stories, thanks for sharing! That square teacup and saucer is amazing too 😊. Happy New Year and wishing you a very Happy Tuesday too! Hugs Jo X

    ReplyDelete
  5. I suppose a man of his time, but I am not a fan of being preached to--even if I was also raised a Christian. An oak tree (that thinks he is superior to other living things that don't live so long) falls during a Christmas storm. Okay. Probably why I was not a big fan of Anderson--lol!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Grimm's tales were more exciting Though Andersen's tales were quite charming especially from the movie Hans Christian Andersen starring Danny Kaye

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, pushed publish too soon. Love your square cup and saucer

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoyed that story Divers! I like Grimm Tales too... Happy New Year! and Happy First T Day of the Year!! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a tale I don't yet know! Thanks for sharing, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting post-I actually have been reading some odd choices lately-things I never read when I was younger. but thinking I should. Happy T wishes

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'll have to come back for this -- it looks charming.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Reading Andersen again seems like a good idea. Once we were in Denmark and visited his home (become a museum) in a smallish town somewhere that we were passing through on our Lambretta motor scooter. I felt as if I learned a lot about him, correcting the movie version -- though the songs with Danny Kaye were wonderful!

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. As a child I heard more Grimm's Fairy Tales, but in the end I prefer Andersen. I do think many of his tales are sadder than Grimm's. I once, years ago, visited his childhood home in Odense, Denmark when I was visiting a friend there.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes more Grimm was more gruesome so of course very attractive to kids, lol, HC Andersen was gentler, though enjoyable. Happy T Day! Elle/EOTC xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's been years since I've seen International Coffee tins. I thought this tale was interesting as we recently have been told about the time of God & our lives are but seconds to Him. I'll say no more for now :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. You always share such interesting things. I hadn't heard of this story before. Thank you. Happy T Day.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really love the H.C.A stories. Thank you for sharing. Have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  18. When I was young we had a book with both Grimm and HC Anderson stories- I don't recall this one though ! Happy New Year, hugs, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is a generic copy and paste because I have so many I need to visit. I have been offline since early Tuesday morning. Not only did I lose internet and phone, I also lost heat and electricity. Thank goodness for extra blankets, layering, and two very warm fur babies. Just wanted you to know why you haven't heard from me.

    I'll be back to read the tale when I catch up. I have always LOVED those Int'l Cafe flavored coffees. Haven't seen them for years, though.

    ReplyDelete