Sunday, January 15, 2023

News from Home

News from Home is a 1977 French avant-garde documentary film. If you've ever gotten letters from home -as I have- this film will touch that memory. I watched it on HBO Max.

trailer:



Criterion opens with this:
Letters from Chantal Akerman’s mother are read over a series of elegantly composed shots of 1976 New York, where our (unseen) filmmaker and protagonist has relocated. Akerman’s unforgettable time capsule of the city is also a gorgeous meditation on urban alienation and personal and familial disconnection.

Rotten Tomatoes has a critics consensus score of 100%.

22 comments:

  1. This sounds very interesting, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a cool little film. Thanks for sharing. And happy Sunday to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Sunday! I'm watching Meet the Press :)

      Delete
  3. ...the subtitles flash by too quickly for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous! Great find and thanks for sharing 😊. Happy weekend! Hugs Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds a good film.
    Many thanks for sharing it.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was the one who wrote letters to home. We traveled Australia and once per month I sent a letter to my family.
    Crazy. If something bad´d happened they´d only known where we were 3 weeks ago!
    Now, when we go to Perth (and stay there) MIL asks every day via FB if we are OK!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Social media has made it so much easier to keep up!

      Delete
  7. This sounds like a gem. One time I wish I had HBO Max!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I tried HBO Max. It's worth keeping for us.

      Delete
  8. It suddenly hit me that I never ever received a letter from home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They can be guilt trips about "please let me hear from you."

      Delete
  9. A couple of posts back, there was a discussion about Sling TV. It is for people who have an antenna and get their local news and programs that way. They deal with cable shows only. I think they are a rip off unless you are really attached to cable, want to save a bit of money, and have a good working antenna.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We get local programming via an antenna, but we don't miss cable at all. Certainly not bad enough to use a cable substitute that works the same way.

      Delete