Friday, January 27, 2023

Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio

Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio is an award-winning 2022 stop motion fantasy film based on the Collodi book. I hate the Disney adaptation and always have, so I was happy to see this and to see it done well. I watched it on Netflix.

trailer:



Roger Ebert's website gives a glowing review that closes with this:
A wondrously affecting work, "Pinocchio" becomes a magnum opus for del Toro that channels his interests and beliefs long present in his oeuvre but spun with a luminous new gravitas. It may go against its ethos to deem del Toro's "Pinocchio" an impeccable masterpiece, even if that's an adequate description, but know that if the art of making movies resembles magic, this is one of its greatest incantations.
Rolling Stone says,
The movie is beautiful. This take on the Pinocchio puppet reminds us, among other things, that he’s made of wood. He looks and moves and creaks and breaks like wood. He’s got knots for eyes and an entire personality carved into his body by benefit of the fractal patterns in the pine wood used to make him. He’s got the kind of thin awkwardness befitting a puppet, the kind where the head looks too heavy for the body. And yet there’s a real boyishness to him, somehow — here and throughout, with every character, the animators clearly took care to master the expressiveness of the eyes, the natural flow of movement.
The Verge calls it "a haunting and beautiful instant classic that will leave you thinking about your mortality." Rotten Tomatoes has a critics consensus score of 97%.

14 comments:

  1. ...and now George Santos or whoever he is today is the modern day Pinocchio.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The photo of the new Pinocchio is really creepy! I’ve always found the story itself to bee pretty creepy too, Disney or otherwise.

    best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing stop action film. I would love to see it. I watched how the characters were created and how long it took to create one character. I am sure it would be mesmerizing to watch the entire film, especially after seeing how much work was put into it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, It's almost 2 hours long, though, if that's an issue. I prioritize movie-watching ;)

      Delete
  4. That's on my watch list. I'm hoping it wins the Oscar -- what a feat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't keep track of the Oscars anymore, but this is a stunning film.

      Delete
  5. It is a lovely tale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember how surprised I was when I first read the book.

      Delete
  6. I enjoyed this version, too

    ReplyDelete
  7. I watched this and found it charming. Would be hard for smaller kids who don't know history to understand, I think, with all the WWII information involved. Was really good though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm never sure how this kind of thing goes over with the younger kids, whether or not they need the history to "get" it... Knowing the history would definitely help appreciate it.

      Delete