Monday, January 09, 2023

Jeffries and McCarthy

After 4 days and 15 votes and contentiousness that led to threatened violence, McCarthy finally won the House speakership. This is the first time since the 1800s that it has taken this many votes to elect a Speaker, and in those cases the issues were slavery and abolition. After the voting was over the House Minority Leader and the House Speaker each gave a speech. I offer video here of the speeches in the order they were given.

Hakeem Jeffries:



Kevin McCarthy:



And then afterwards, McCarthy thanked Trump: "I do want to especially thank President Trump," McCarthy told reporters early Saturday morning. "I don't think anybody should doubt his influence. He was with me from the beginning … he was all in."

I watched it all gavel to gavel. As with the insurrection coverage, I think it's important whenever possible to watch these historic happenings live rather than depend on bits and pieces of later coverage. I will be watching tonight as the House considers its new rules.

12 comments:

  1. I agree. It is good to bear witness, and spot the actual action!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like paying attention at this point in my life is something I can do.

      Delete
  2. ...the difference between the two is huge!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would rather read transcript of of these type of things it seems to be a better use of time. Usually you can read a transcript a lot faster than watching these proceedings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A transcript is fine for after the fact but no substitute for seeing it in real time.

      Delete
  4. It appears that McCarthy sold his soul to the crazies to have his dream gavel. I do not expect him to have it for long...either that, or there will be rougher times ahead with the extreme right holding him hostage. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'll be interesting to see how tonight's vote goes. I hear the less right-wing members of the party are not best pleased with some of the concessions McCarthy made to the right-wing fringe.

      Delete
  5. I shared Minority leader-elect Jeffries' alphabet today on my blog. I was super, super impressed. I worry about our democracy, social security, and intelligence community now that McCarthy has given so much away. I also worry about Ukraine now that they are in power. Only ONE dissenting vote today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finally switched to a movie last night. It's interesting that they don't want the taxes of the wealthy audited. How people can continue to vote for these wing-nuts is beyond me.

      Delete
  6. I agree with you completely and I did the same. I loved Jeffries' alphabet. How he pulled that off I'll never know!

    ReplyDelete