Friday, August 27, 2021

The Girl Who Did Not Know Fear


The Girl Who Did Not Know Fear is a short story by Kelly Link. You can read it online here. It begins,
A few years ago, I was on my way home to Massachusetts when bad weather stranded me in the Detroit airport for four days. I’d been at a conference in Iowa City—I travel rarely, but this was a point in my career when professional advancement required that I go. I was to receive a signal honor, one that conferred much benefit upon not only myself but also upon the university where I had tenure and no teaching responsibilities. My university had made it clear that it would be ungracious of me not to go. And so I went. I attended panels and listened to my colleagues discuss my research. Former students, now middle-aged and embarked upon their own careers, greeted me with more affection and warmth than I felt I merited; I bought them drinks in the bar, and listened to reports of their various successes. Some of them knew my wife. Others were Facebook friends, and remarked on recent photos of our daughter, Dido. How much she had grown. There was, of course, talk of politics and of the recent winter, how mild it had been. How wet this spring was turning out to be. I have never cared much for change, but of course change is inevitable. And not all change is catastrophic—or rather, even in the middle of catastrophic change, small good things may go on. Dido had recently learned to write her name. The children of my colleagues, too, were marvels, prodigies, creatures remarkable in their nature and abilities.

15 comments:

  1. The beginning really pulls you in. I think this one looks very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...the girl who does not know fear is my 8 year old granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The beginning of this story caught my eye. Former students and Massachusetts might be what did it. Off to read it now. But I do like that photo. I looked at it a bit before I realized it was a plane behind the standing body (man?). Happy FRiday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of the free-use photos of that airport that I could find I liked this one best.

      Delete
  4. Because the narrator was from Massachusetts, I had to read this story. This very weird story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. It was different from what I often read, which is good for me.

      Delete
  6. Sounds strange but intriguing, thanks! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, really strange. Never did find out what her appointment was about that she didn't want to miss. You think it might be about Dido somehow but then it is all so you find out her wife is Martine--talked about on the flight. And she doesn't think she'd be afraid of eels--like the girl who wasn't afraid of anything? Really strange. Didn't make a lot of sense. All women, most of them gay. What are the odds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it may be that some authors include more gay characters in their work to help make up for the lack of them in fiction in general. I tried to go with the flow ;) with her thought process. It was interesting, but this isn't my favorite of the stories I've read lately ;)

      Delete
  8. I've stayed at that Sheridan!!! Or one just like it, at least. Wasn't fond of the story in the end, though.

    ReplyDelete