Tuesday, August 24, 2021

The Picture of Dorian Gray (1945)

The Picture of Dorian Gray is a 1945 award-winning screen adaptation of the book by Oscar Wilde. This version is directed by Albert Lewin and stars George Sanders (a favorite with me), Donna Reed, Angela Lansbury (another favorite), and Peter Lawford. We watched it on DVD.

trailer:


FilmReference.com says, "Lewin's film presents a fascinating mediation between Wilde's effete aestheticism and Hollywood's conventional realism." Classic Horror says it's worth watching but doesn't achieve greatness. Rotten Tomatoes has a critics consensus rating of 93%. Here's a screenshot from the trailer:



Shall we don hats and take tea? I'll be joining the T Stands for Tuesday blogger gathering hosted by Bleubeard and Elizabeth. Share a post with a drink reference and join us.

17 comments:

  1. ...Victorian grandeur.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great pic! I want to watch movies with you and I wouldn't mind a cup of tea. Happy T Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:10 AM

    I truly enjoyed this film. And the hats!
    --A Pal

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a neat film!

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh those hats. Oh that tea. Loved seeing Angela Lansbury so young and innocent looking in the trailer. I actually saw the film on Turner Movies on cable. It was really rather scary, but truly amazing. I loved the ending. In the end, all's well that ends well. Thanks for sharing this film at T this week, dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a film I really like. Happy T Day, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, this take me back! I love Angela Lansbury too, such a fabulous actress 😀. Wishing you a very happy T Tuesday! Hugs Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I adore this film. It's one of my all-time favorites! And what a fabulous cast! I often will say to someone who looks remarkably young for their age, "You must have a picture in YOUR closet!" Sadly, these days, not everyone (almost no one) gets the reference!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, I have seen this film a few times and really enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'll don a hat as long as we have AC. Can you image how tough it must have been before AC? Hope you had a fabulous T day. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this film and the book! Now I need to read it again.
    Happy Tea Day,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  12. Evil and very deep horror - a very amazing story and movie. Great share, and it would be fun to get some hat, dress up and all have tea together! Happy T-day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I read the book when I went through an Oscar Wilde phase when I was young. I've never seen the film, so I will try to find it online somewhere.
    It's lovely to see Angela Lansbury so young. And oh those hats!!
    Happy T-Day,
    Hugs,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow ~ I've never heard of this movie ~ Angela Lansbury is so young in this! ~ I'll have to see if I can find it to watch. Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great trailer photo for T Day! I have to check this out as the actresses are favorites of mine, too. Happy belated T Day.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like this movie version of the story best.

    ReplyDelete