Sunday, August 29, 2021

Honeyboy

David "Honeyboy" Edwards was a Mississippi-born blues musician who made Chicago his home beginning in the 1950s. One of the last surviving links to Robert Johnson, he had many stories to tell. This concert is The Montreal Jazz Festival in 1998:


He died of congestive heart failure on this date in 2011 at the age of 96, having been scheduled to perform later that same day. It's a joy to hear of these artists who live long lives and are able to be active to the end.

11 comments:

  1. He certainly made me think of southern blues. He was very talented, and I'm with you. It is always great to hear of people that can carry out their love for an activity for a long long life. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ikr?! I hear of all the tragic deaths of musicians at young ages and then someone like this comes along to make me smile :)

      Delete
  2. So many musicians seemed to burn out young because of drugs and exploitation. Nice to hear someone lived a long and productive life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a talent! He had a good, long life. Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  4. So he was about 83 in this video already--wow! I don't know a lot about the blues but this sounds like classic blues to me...what I hear in my head when I think of the blues.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had to take in the entire video. I loved his music and enjoyed the fact he lived life to the fullest.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have ALWAYS loved his music. He performed up here at one of our folk festivals many moons ago -- he does a great show. A long life but one that is missed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 96 years ... a very good age, and so good that he was active 'til the end.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete