Friday, August 06, 2021

The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert

The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert is a 1994 Australian film starring Terence Stamp, Hugo Weaving, and Guy Pearce. I watched it on Tubi, but it's not there any more. I don't see it available right now on any of the services I subscribe to. It's definitely worth looking for. I loved it!

trailer:


It's included in the book 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die. The Guardian calls it a "smart, lovable gem".

Roger Ebert closes his review with this:
At the beginning of the film we're distracted by the unexpected sight of Terence Stamp in drag, but Stamp is able to bring a convincing humanity to the character, and eventually we realize that the real subject of the movie is not homosexuality, not drag queens, not showbiz, but simply the life of a middle-aged person trapped in a job that has become tiresome.
Rotten Tomatoes has a critics consensus score of 96%.

22 comments:

  1. This is one of those stories that make it big as a musical & as a movie. Let's just hope that "they" don't try to ruin it with a weekly tv series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope too much time has past for that.

      Delete
  2. This looks like fun. Reminds me of "To Wong Fu Thanks for Everything, Julie Newmar"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a hoot, as we used to say :)

      Delete
  3. ...it looks like fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fun but also sweet and touching in a good way.

      Delete
  4. This one is such a fun modern classic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really need to see this because it keeps coming up places. Glad to hear it got great reviews. I had tickets to see this play April of 2020 at a local theater and of course, that didn't happen. Thank covid. Hope you are having a wonderful Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous! I've seen this as West end show in London too 😀. Glad you enjoyed it! Take care and happy weekend! Hugs Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I own this movie and I love watching it. A good one for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'd be good to have it around. I can't believe it's not on any service I subscribe to.

      Delete
  8. Oh, I saw this years ago and I really enjoyed it! Was better than I ever expected. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd never have watched it if not for the 1001 movies book.

      Delete
  9. Thanks for the recommendation! Valerie

    ReplyDelete