Monday, August 23, 2021

The Fiddler



The Fiddler is an 1854 short story by Herman Melville. You can read it online here at this link or listen to it read to you at the bottom of this post. It begins,
So my poem is damned, and immortal fame is not for me! I am nobody forever and ever. Intolerable fate!

Snatching my hat, I dashed down the criticism, and rushed out into Broadway, where enthusiastic throngs were crowding to a circus in a side-street near by, very recently started, and famous for a capital clown.

Presently my old friend Standard rather boisterously accosted me.

"Well met, Helmstone, my boy! Ah! what's the matter? Haven't been committing murder? Ain't flying justice? You look wild!"

"You have seen it then?" said I, of course referring to the critism.

"Oh yes; I was there at the morning performance. Great clown, I assure you. But here comes Hautboy. Hautboy—Helmstone."

Without having time or inclination to resent so mortifying a mistake, I was instantly soothed as I gazed on the face of the new acquaintance so unceremoniously introduced. His person was short and full, with a juvenile, animated cast to it. His complexion rurally ruddy; his eye sincere, cheery, and gray. His hair alone betrayed that he was not an overgrown boy. From his hair I set him down as forty or more.

"Come, Standard," he gleefully cried to my friend, "are you not going to the circus? The clown is inimitable, they say. Come; Mr. Helmstone, too—come both; and circus over, we'll take a nice stew and punch at Taylor's."

The sterling content, good humor, and extraordinary ruddy, sincere expression of this most singular new acquaintance acted upon me like magic. It seemed mere loyalty to human nature to accept an invitation from so unmistakably kind and honest a heart.

During the circus performance I kept my eye more on Hautboy than on the celebrated clown.
...

20 comments:

  1. ...what is the difference between a fiddle and a violin?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read a book that describes by the character, the difference between a fiddle & a violin. One sings, one dances.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never read Herman Melville. I can't believe I took American lit in college and a few other lit courses in college and never read him. Shame on me I guess!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, not shame, never. We read Moby Dick in school, but I haven't read much else by him.

      Delete
  4. Of course I recognise the author as he wrote Moby Dick but I haven't read any of his short stories 😁. Thanks for sharing and wishing you a happy new week! Hugs Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I even knew he wrote short stories.

      Delete
  5. I hated Moby Dick and have such a hard time with his Flowery language. Melville seems to take forever to get to the point.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always liked Herman Melville. I will read this later tonight when I don't have any more people to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds great! I have bookmarked it for later! Thanks, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it. It's not very long, so at least there's that ;)

      Delete
  8. This is a wonderful start! I will continue on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did like this one. It felt much different than what I expected somehow.

      Delete
  9. Not quite sure what he learned by the meeting in the end being as he changed gears and took up the fiddle. Could be taken a couple of ways, but it was interesting. Also, did not know Melville wrote short stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I ever knew he wrote short stories I had forgotten it. I'll have to look for more.

      Delete