Sunday, August 08, 2021

How Green Was My Valley

How Green Was My Valley is a 1941 directed by John Ford and starring Walter Pidgeon, Maureen O'Hara, and Roddy McDowall.



This film is included in the book 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die. FilmSite has an article which begins,
How Green Was My Valley (1941) is one of John Ford's masterpieces of sentimental human drama. It is the melodramatic and nostalgic story, adapted by screenwriter Philip Dunne from Richard Llewellyn's best-selling novel, of a close-knit, hard-working Welsh coal-mining family (the Morgans) at the turn of the century as a socio-economic way of life passes and the home-family unit disintegrates. Episodic incidents in everyday life convey the changes, trials, setbacks, and joys of the hard-bitten community as it faces growing unemployment, distressing work conditions, unrest, unionization and labor-capital disputes, and personal tragedy. Domestic life, romance, harsh treatment at school, the departure of two Morgan boys to find their fortune in America, unrequited love between the local preacher (Walter Pidgeon) and the only Morgan daughter (beautiful 19 year old Irish actress Maureen O'Hara), and other events are portrayed within the warm, human story.
It has a critics consensus score of 89% at Rotten Tomatoes.

16 comments:

  1. This is one of my favorite movies. I always have a box of Kleenex ready. I think the performance of Baby Roddy McDowell steals the show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Roddy McDowell, and he was sooo young here.

      Delete
  2. ...this one I've heard of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd seen this one before on tv when I was young.

      Delete
  3. This is on my list of movies I need to watch, or otherwise books I need to read. It is a classic. Hope you enjoyed it! And have a great Sunday too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It had been a long time since I'd seen it. I was pleased to find it online.

      Delete
  4. Lovely, lovely movie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen this film, and it is not one of my favourites. Have a great week, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked it much better this time through.

      Delete
  6. Fabulous, a John Ford movie is always worthwatching and I love Maureen O'Hara 😀. I hope you had a wonderful weekend! Hugs Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have always loved this film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't appreciate it when I was a child. I loved it this time.

      Delete
  8. Ohhh I love this movie. I am gong to have to watch it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I watched it again. I appreciated it more this time.

      Delete