Wednesday, December 18, 2019

Snickerdoodle Coffee


I had a mind to make a snickerdoodle-flavored coffee, and I found this recipe to try. Making it according to the recipe was a total failure, as the mix clogged up the filter and the coffee wouldn't drip into the cup. I tried using the same measurements but substituting instant coffee for the coffee grounds and pouring boiling water over the instant mix, but that was undrinkable: too bitter and the cocoa made the coffee too thick. At this point I gave up. I'd love suggestions on how to make this into a drinkable beverage.

I moved on to trying a snickerdoodle creamer recipe. Now, I always take my coffee black, but I like having a few things around that are different. And I had snickerdoodle on the brain. As I googled my little heart out, I found many recipes that used canned evaporated milk and/or sweetened condensed milk, but I wanted a dry mix that would store easily in my counter-top basket. This one looked like a good start.

I ended up using 1/2 cup coffee creamer, 1/2 cup white sugar, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, and 1/2 tsp allspice to make the jar in the photo above. I put 2 rounded spoonfuls in a cup of French press coffee. I tried it again adding vanilla extract, and I tried it with different amounts of the spices, but I didn't like that as much.

I enjoyed my snickerdoodle experiment, even if it's not something I'll use much. I'd love to find a coffee recipe that would work, as I'd drink it much more often than I'll use this creamer.



18 comments:

  1. Was worth a try. Would your creamer make a nice gift for a neighbor?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll offer it to my older son. They may like it for a change, as his wife likes creamer.

      Delete
  2. ...I'd rather eat the calories than drink them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have added cinnamon to coffee before, I've not tried it with tea. For awhile Mr Man & I were into 1/2 coffee 1/2 hot chocolate, but that passed quickly as I found way too sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the commercially available swiss mocha mix, but it's getting hard to find around here.

      Delete
  4. I simply cannot use that horrible creamer. It's a killer for diabetics, too. It contains corn syrup solids. But I would grind some beans, make my coffee, then add the spices, then add half and half as I needed it. I'm not sure I'd use the cocoa powder, but I guess you have little choice when it comes to your choice of chocolate. I also would use Mexican vanilla because I have it, OR just add a vanilla bean that has been slit lengthwise to the dry mix. I assure you, the bean will definitely infuse itself in the mix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't use half&half enough to be able to keep it. I do keep vanilla extract since it lasts forever. The creamer is horrid, I agree, but I was just in a mood lol I didn't know what to substitute for the cocoa powder, and I had it in the pantry closet, so... I really did want a mix that'd be usable as-is, but I may be asking too much for a milky mix.

      Delete
  5. I don't do powdered mixes that have chemicles in them or loads of sugar-one can always substitute sugar for something else-splenda, keto sugars etc but I was curious so had to search I found this one https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/snickerdoodle-coffee-mix
    https://sugarandcharm.com/snickerdoodle-coffee-recipe#wprm-recipe-container-29840
    https://www.food.com/recipe/snickerdoodle-coffee-mix-271784?soc=socialsharingpinterest

    hopefully these are different than what you found

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the links! I just can't get the cocoa to dissolve properly using the recipes I tried, but maybe these will work better :)

      Delete
  6. I've never had Snickers oodles, sounds yummy 😁. Thanks for the recipe and wishing you a wonderful week! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snickerdoodle is usually a cookie, though I've had snickerdoodle coffee at coffee shops.

      Delete
  7. Sorry, but for me it has to be coffee and milk foam and no other additives. Hope you find a good recipe that works for you! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never put milky anything in coffee. Well, except for the swiss mocha mix I sometimes drink. My coffee is rarely anything but black. I just get in the mood for something a bit different at times.

      Delete
  8. Real cream or a mocha creamer is about as wild as I get. I usually drink mine black, too. But sometimes you want something a little different, yes. You are braver than I am--LOL! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Variety is the spice of life, and you can't get much safer variety than coffee variety lol

      Delete
  9. Although it is frustrating to get your coffee not the right way, it is always fun to experiment. Not a coffee drinker but I still enjoyed reading your post. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete