Sunday, December 15, 2019

Holiday (1930)

Holiday is a 1930 pre-code romantic comedy starring Ann Harding, Mary Astor, Hedda Hopper, and Edward Everett Horton. A young man is torn between his free-thinking lifestyle and the wealthy father of the socialite he wants to marry, and hilarity predictably ensues. Oddly enough, this happy-go-lucky free-thinker is a lawyer with a New York firm and is a successful businessman so not exactly the questionable bohemian that description might lead you to believe, but he didn't come from money and isn't a member of the top 1%.

This is a fun romantic comedy, and I enjoyed watching it even though rom-coms aren't my favorite genre.




Rotten Tomatoes has an audience score of 96%.

14 comments:

  1. ...1930 is a bit before my time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. roflol! Well, me, too, but it doesn't stop me ;)

      Delete
  2. I don't think I've seen this one, but I do enjoy Edward Everett Horton.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's cute. It was remade, and that one's cute, too. A touch of the season without beating you over the head with it ;)

      Delete
  3. Not quite my cup of tea today. Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd probably not have watched it if I hadn't been looking for movies that take place during the holidays.

      Delete
  4. I need to watch this because what I am curious about is how the holiday and life are different then and now. Sometimes it is hard to relate to the times, but it will be an interesting view. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't tell if times have changed coz I never knew a lifestyle this lavish lol

      Delete
  5. Sometimes it's good to sit and watch a fun romantic comedy, and that's a good score from rotten tomatoes!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the older ones better than the newer.

      Delete
  6. I'm not a romcom person, either, but if you recommend it, I'll at least try to watch it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've not seen this one and I love a good romantic comedy 😉. It's added to my listing ...lol 😉. Happy wishes! Hugs, Jo x
    p.s. sorry I didn't visit much last week we've been away visiting family for the holidays and for some reason some of the blogs and websites I visit were blocked by their WiFi service, go figure! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete