Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence

Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence is a 1983 British-Japanese WW2 film about life in a Japanese prisoner of war camp. I don't care for war movies, and I don't care for this. I know I should broaden my horizons -and I try, really, I do try- but this didn't convert me.

trailer:



You can watch it online here.

The New York Times begins its review with praise of David Bowie's performance:
DAVID BOWIE plays a born leader in Nagisa Oshima's ''Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence,'' and he plays him like a born film star. Mr. Bowie's screen presence here is mercurial and arresting, and he seems to arrive at this effortlessly, though he manages to do something slyly different in every scene. The demands of his role may sometimes be improbable and elaborate, but Mr. Bowie fills them in a remarkably plain and direct way. Little else in the film is so unaffected or clear.
Slant Magazine gives it 4 1/2 out of 5 stars and begins its review with this:
A prisoner-of-war drama as fever dream, Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence fascinates mostly for the hit-and-miss alchemy of its discordant elements: in performance, pop-star charisma versus British actorliness; in narrative style, genre expectations coming up against modernist psychosexual undercurrents.
Roger Ebert gives it a mixed review and says, "This is interesting material, especially since Oshima plunges a little more deeply into the psychology of his characters than your average prisoner-of-war movie is likely to." Empire Online has a mixed review and says, "This goes interesting places most POW dramas won't dare". 80% of Rotten Tomatoes critic reviews are positive.

13 comments:

  1. ...into some directions I'm not interested in broadening my horizons and thi is one of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I've seen it. I won't watch it again.

      Delete
  2. I was going to skip this when I saw the lead was played by David Bowie, but I watched the trailer. It doesn't look that bad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my sons is a fan of war movies. I've just never seen the appeal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw this years back. My husband liked it, I didn't! Have a nice day, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen David Bowie in one film before. It was magical. I wonder how he was in this one? Hope you have a nice day. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked his performance here. I forget he was a film actor until I see him in a screen shot or review, but I think he was good.

      Delete
  6. I saw this long ago. Was a bit strange, as I recall. But with Bowie in it I expected that. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, definitely not your typical war movie.

      Delete
  7. If I have time and EVER catch up on life, I want to watch this one. Not for the war aspect, but for David Bowie.

    ReplyDelete