Tuesday, September 24, 2019

Where Zombies Come From

It's getting close to October when a crone's heart turns to horror movies. It helps when you're watching these movies to have a basic understanding of the terms, and "zombie" is one many people don't seem to know the history of. When I came across this 7-minute video essay Where Zombies Come From:



at Open Culture, I thought I'd share. It covers the history in film quite well, I think. I mean, there are few of us who don't have 7 minutes, right? Perhaps while we're drinking our morning cuppa? (Please join me at the weekly T Stands for Tuesday blogger gathering.)


The Open Culture link provides a helpful written overview of the history of the term, its origin and how it has developed in film, and embeds of a few of the movies. I've seen some of the movies myself over the years, and you can see my blog posts on the zombie and zombie-related films at the links below:

1930s:
White Zombie (1932)
Revolt of the Zombies (1936)

1940s:
King of the Zombies (1941)
I Walked with a Zombie (1943)
Voodoo Man (1944)

1950s:
Creature with the Atom Brain (1955)
Teenage Zombies (1959)

1960s:
I Eat Your Skin (1964)
The Plague of Zombies (1966)
Night of the Living Dead (1968)

1970s:
Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things (1972)
Horror Express (1973)
Messiah of Evil (1973)
Let Sleeping Corpses Lie (1974)
Shock Waves (1977)
Dawn of the Dead (1978)
Zombie Flesh Eaters (1979)

1980s:
Oasis of the Zombies (1981)
I Was a Teenage Zombie (1987)
The Serpent and the Rainbow (1988)

1990s:
Cemetery Man (1994)

2000s:
28 Days Later (2002)
Miner's Massacre (2002)
Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Resident Evil: Apocalypse (2004)
Land of the Dead (2005)
Planet Terror (2007)
[REC] (2007)
Outpost (2008)

2010s:
The Dead (2010)
Gallowwalkers (2012)
Outpost: Black Sun (2012)
Cargo (2013 short film)
Frankenstein's Army (2013)
Outpost: Rise of the Spetsnaz (2013)
Train to Busan (2016)

*******

It's so odd with the ATCs, but when I only had scrap paper and cheap ribbon I made these things with wild abandon, but the mere presence of pretty new treasures to make them with is intimidating me lol. I'm being like the people who save all their decent clothes "for nice". This has been hard to shake, but I'm forging ahead and will use these lovely new possibilities in making ATCs. Any Day Now.



18 comments:

  1. Interesting post about zombies-my Husband would love any of these movies.
    are you loving your french press? I really love mine. Happy T wishes Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love this single-cup French press. It makes stronger coffee than my one-cup pour-over :)

      Delete
  2. Yeah, not a fan of zombies. Are you keeping your lovely new pretties in a lovely new box? Try mixing them with some of the scrap paper and cheap ribbon. You must have some left. Then the new will look like the old and you can go back to creating with wild abandon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband isn't a fan of the zombie movies or really any of the modern horror. He likes the older stuff, and by that I mean the _much_ older stuff :)

      Yes, the new pretties are in a separate box, like the treasures they are. I guess putting them in with my other things would help. Thx!

      Delete
  3. Oooh, zombies! The video is interesting, thanks, but I'll skip the zombie films. There are enough zombies walking around here staring at that smart hones and dead to the rest of the world! Your coffee looks good, I need a cup just now - clue to move to the kitchen! Happy T day, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Zombies for a morning cuppa :-)
    Well, reckon some jobs were (and are) so boring one wishes to be but one?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was tired of zombie movies after watching two in my teens. The concept just doesn't appeal to me. Maybe that's because I don't care for horror movies in general. Probably some early childhood trauma - lol.

    I smiled at your observation about supplies. I'm like that too and trying to get over it. Good suggestion from CJ. I plan to try it too.

    Happy T-day! Eileen xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. As you probably guessed, I'm not a fan of zombies or horror films so will give thee a miss ...lol 😉. Your square edge cup is amazing - I love it! I'm now wondering what new pretties you have and how you will use them, what fun! Wishing you a very happy T Day! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am not into anything horror so I am going to pass on the movie. I know what you mean about being intimidated by new items/treasures. I am always afraid of wasting it in case it doesn't turn out. That would be disappointing. I hope you get some inspiration to use your new treasures.
    Happy Tea Day,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was a great video explaining the history of zombies. Recently I was wondering how they went from the ones shown in White Zombie to the flesh eating ones in World War Z, etc. The Serpent and the Rainbow was fantastic: I'll be watching that as Halloween gets closer. I started watching horror movies when Sep 1 arrived, but I'm saving the best ones for October. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. P.S. I was so excited about the horror movies I forgot to say: Happy T-Day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I will watch the Zombie movie, but I'm not a fan of October horror. However, I do plan to visit every day as usual, since there might be something I would actually watch.

    I LOVE your mug. It is AWESOME!!! I'm so glad you shared it with us this week for T.

    I have trouble using my new stuff, too. I try different things, but seem to return to what is tried and true. However, I'm on a quest to break out the new paper, the new products, and the ones I've not used in the past. I just hope I don't fall flat. I am sure you will make some awesome ATCs once you get over the fear of messing up. Maybe you could cut a small amount of your new paper and use it in an ATC. If it works, that will give you the confidence to make more. I still use a LOT of magazine images in my ATCs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I will pass on the Zombie films, I think I am at an age where I want to be entertained, not scared out of my wits or having a good laugh because they are so unreal.
    Happy T day wishes.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Who knew that zombies went so back in history? I thought they were a thing from 1960's and on. And of course there's the Walking Dead, but I have to say that I didn't really enjoy that series and stopped after 3 seasons. But there's that Abraham Lincoln and zombies film. That wasn't a bd book either. Happy T day. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can tell you are in the mood for October and Halloween early this year--LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Never got into the zombie thing. I have friends who binge watch seasons of The Living Dead, though. Happy T Day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh the fear of "the good stuff". I know it well. Saving that beautiful blouse until is is way out of fashion with its big pointy collar, LOL! Saving a scrap to use in art because it is a unique scrap, I'll never find another one. So hard to break that habit. Its not like I've ever been seriously deprived or anything.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Brrr. I don't like zombies and would not want to watch any of those films. Remember Michael Jackson's long awaited Thriller video? I freaked out at seeing his eyes change and seeing all those zombies.
    I am also a person who keeps new stuff for 'nice'. I still put on my best clothes on a Sunday. A hard habit to shake.
    I'm sorry I am late in commenting. We've been away camping on the coast and there was no wifi on the campsite.
    Happy belated T-Day,
    Hugs,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete