Monday, September 02, 2019

Odds Against Tomorrow

Odds Against Tomorrow is a 1959 crime film (and maybe a film noir, depending on which article you read) directed by Robert Wise and starring Harry Belafonte, Robert Ryan, Ed Begley, Gloria Grahame, and Shelley Winters. Racism among thieves. No subtlety on that front, either. It's painful to hear people talk like that.

Part 1:



Part 2:



Part 3:



Variety says,
On one level, Odds against Tomorrow is a taut crime melodrama. On another, it is an allegory about racism, greed and man’s propensity for self-destruction. Not altogether successful in the second category, it still succeeds on its first.

The New York Times review from the time of the film's release calls it "a sharp, hard, suspenseful melodrama". 86% of Rotten Tomatoes critics like it.

13 comments:

  1. I normally like film noirs. But it is hard seeing old movies with racist language / actions. I usually skip them if I know ahead of time that they are that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to watch, but then it's on plain view in the news these days. I'd like to think we're past all that, but it seems we haven't :(

      Delete
  2. I like films directed by Robert Wise

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds good, more for my growing watchlist! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely an interesting story. Every time I watch something I seem to add 2 more lol

      Delete
    2. I know things like that!

      Delete
  4. Two fabulous actors, thanks for the recommendation 😁. I hope you are having a lovely week! Hugs, Jox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The acting is good :) We went out of town for Labor Day, and our weather was perfect :)

      Delete
  5. I'm not sure how I missed this. It certainly sounds intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep coming across movies I'd never heard of. It's _endless_!

      Delete
  6. I actually got a chance to watch this. I thought the entire point of the race issue was that in the end you couldn't tell one burned body from the other. :) :) I liked that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, not with any subtlety here, but the point's an important one.

      Delete