Monday, September 16, 2019

Day of the Outlaw

Day of the Outlaw is a 1959 western about a feud between cattlemen and homesteaders. A traditional range war film. This one stars Robert Ryan, Burl Ives, Tina Louise, Alan Marshal, Elisha Cook Jr, Larry Teter, and Dabbs Greer. David Nelson is also in it.


The Telegraph calls it "a mesmerising Western that continually redefines what heroism might mean". TCM has an overview. Great Western Movies calls it "A stark and adult western with some noir flavor" and "This excellent western rises above the usual formulas".

10 comments:

  1. Cool! I don't think I've heard of this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd never heard of it either. There are so _many_ westerns!

      Delete
  2. I've never heard of it, either, but it may be because I'm not a big fan of westerns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't used to be, but they've grown on me.

      Delete
  3. Oh yes, there are too, too many westerns! Have a great day, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ikr? I'll never run out, so there's that to recommend them lol

      Delete
  4. Fantastic, I don't think I've seen this one! You know how I love a good western ...lol 😉. Many thanks! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a good one -traditional plot and great cast. I hope you like it :)

      Delete
  5. No good outlaws bit the dust. My kind of western. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a lot to be said for a well-done traditional film from any genre. So satisfying! :)

      Delete