Friday, September 13, 2019

Space: 1999

Space: 1999 is a 1977-79 TV series starring Martin Landau and Barbara Bain. I watched this first-run, but it seems no one else did. I always looked forward to the next episode and was disappointed when it was cancelled. From Wikipedia:
The premise of Space: 1999 centres on the plight of the inhabitants of Moonbase Alpha, a scientific research centre on the Moon. Humanity had been storing its nuclear waste in vast disposal sites on the far side of the Moon, but when an unknown form of electromagnetic radiation is detected, the accumulated waste reaches critical mass and causes a massive thermonuclear explosion on 13 September 1999. The force of the blast propels the Moon like an enormous booster rocket, hurling it out of Earth orbit and into deep space at colossal speed, thus stranding the 311 personnel stationed on Alpha. The runaway Moon, in effect, becomes the "spacecraft" on which the protagonists travel, searching for a new home.
Season 1, episode 1:



The other episodes are randomly available. If you like this one, you'll like the rest.

16 comments:

  1. I am not a space fan, so I will give this one a pass. Have a fun day, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Science fiction has always been my favorite :)

      Delete
  2. Sounds familiar. I think I might have watched this way back when.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was disappointed when it was cancelled. The science fiction shows just didn't seem to last :(

      Delete
  3. I like science fiction, so this sounds good. I created a blog post with all of the episodes that I could find:

    https://annescreativecornucopia.blogspot.com/2019/09/space-1999-tv-series.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! I just went through my old horror movie posts and replaced the videos that were gone with currently available ones. I wish videos were more stable :(

      Delete
  4. This sounds familiar to me, too. I liked space shows and science fiction so I probably saw this. I'll peek when I get a chance. Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was not popular at the time, but I watched any science fiction I could.

      Delete
    2. Yes, I remember this. Not one of the better ones, but I remember I liked it okay. I watched just about anything sci-fi. LOL! :)

      Delete
    3. I was desperate for science fiction and would watch anything. We sound like kindred spirits :) I just gave up on a show on Netflix, though, so I guess I've gotten more discriminating in my old age lol I agree this one wasn't anything that'll be remembered as a great show.

      Delete
  5. I saw a few of these in reruns on a cable channel. I thought the series was quite good, at least the ones I watched.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why it was cancelled when those westerns lasted for years lol

      Delete
  6. Shame that the it was cancelled 😕. Thanks and Happy weekend! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember this show from way back when. I remember liking it too. I think I need to rewatch it sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably won't re-watch it, but it's worth seeing if just as a look into an era.

      Delete