Wednesday, September 04, 2019

Crashing Suns


Crashing Suns is a short story by Edmond Hamilton, the first in the Interstellar Patrol space opera series. It was originally published in two parts in the August and September issues of Weird Tales in 1928. These are rousing adventure stories, and fun to read even if the science is dated. You can read this one online here. It begins,
As the control-levers flashed down under my hands our ship dived down through space with the swiftness of thought. The next instant there came a jarring shock, and our craft spun over like a whirling top. Everything in the conning-tower, windows and dials and controls, seemed to be revolving about me with lightning speed, while I clung dizzily to the levers in my hands. In a moment I managed to swing them back into position, and at once the ship righted herself and sped smoothly on through the ether. I drew a deep breath.

The trap-door in the little room's floor slid open, then, and the startled face of big Hal Kur appeared, his eyes wide.

"By the Power, Jan Tor!" he exclaimed; "that last meteor just grazed us! An inch nearer and it would have been the end of the ship!"

I turned to him for a moment, laughing. "A miss is as good as a mile," I quoted.

He grinned back at me. "Well, remember that we're not out on the Uranus patrol now," he reminded me. "What's our course?"

"Seventy-two degrees sunward, plane No. 8," I told him, glancing at the dials. "We're less than four hundred thousand miles from Earth, now," I added, nodding toward the broad window before me.

Climbing up into the little conning-tower, Hal Kur stepped over beside me, and together we gazed out ahead.

The sun was at the ship's left, for the moment, and the sky ahead was one of deep black, in which the stars, the flaming stars of interplanetary space, shone like brilliant jewels. Directly ahead of us there glowed a soft little orb of misty light, which was growing steadily larger as we raced on toward it. It was our destination, the cloud-veiled little world of Earth, mother-planet of all our race. To myself, who had passed much of my life on the four outer giants, on Jupiter and Saturn and Uranus and Neptune, the little planet ahead seemed insignificant, almost, with its single tiny moon. And yet from it, I knew, had come that unceasing stream of human life, that dauntless flood of pioneers, which had spread over all the solar system in the last hundred thousand years. They had gone out to planet after planet, had conquered the strange atmospheres and bacteria and gravitations, until now the races of man held sway over all the sun's eight wheeling worlds. And it was from this Earth, a thousand centuries before, that there had ventured out the first discoverers' crude little spaceboats, whose faulty gravity-screens and uncertain controls contrasted strangely with the mighty leviathans that flashed between the planets now.

Abruptly I was aroused from my musings by the sharp ringing of a bell at my elbow. "The telestereo," I said to Hal Kur. "Take the controls."

8 comments:

  1. Just read the opening and the phrase "eight wheeling worlds". This was written two years before Pluto was discovered and named the 9th planet. Though it has been demoted and isn't a planet any more. Just like in 1928 when this story was written. Everything comes full circle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The science is interesting in these old stories :)

      Delete
  2. I love space operas. This sounds interesting, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll hafta treat it like magic or fantasy or an alternate universe where science works a different way ;) I just try to place myself in the time the story was written when science was in a different state. Not being a scientist and not having a lot of technological knowledge serves me well only when I'm reading old science fiction stories lol

      Delete
  3. I like those old magazine covers. They would be cool for art. Nothing ages a story more than outdated scientific ideas or technology. But things changes constantly so I guess it's the only way expected.Hope your week is going well. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They would make striking art, I agree, for my wall :)

      The science of it might bother me more if I had a deeper knowledge of things scientific. As it is, I just accept their views for the purpose of enjoying the story.

      We're having a beautiful sunny week. Nice! I feel for the folks enduring Dorian :(

      Delete
  4. Sounds Like fun. Love the rather lurid colours. Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those old covers were attention-getting -a real color riot :)

      Delete