Thursday, September 19, 2019

The Deep Range

image from Galactic Central

The Deep Range is a 1954 short story by Arthur C. Clarke. It was the basis for his 1957 novel by the same name. You can read the short story online here. It begins,
There was a killer loose on the range. A 'copter patrol, 500 miles off Greenland, had seen the great corpse staining the sea crimson as it wallowed in the waves. Within seconds, the intricate warning system had been alerted: men were plotting circles and moving counters on the North Atlantic chart -and Don Burley was still rubbing the sleep from his eyes as he dropped silently down from the twenty-fathom line.

14 comments:

  1. I don't think I've read this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I hadn't. Such an interesting view of the future as we look at environmental changes.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous8:26 AM

    My Dad owned a barber shop, and he subscribed to a variety of magazines there. I remember one of them being Argosy, so I'm sure that this story came across the magazine rack at some point.
    --A Pal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So cool! I wonder which customers that was intended to appeal to.

      Delete
  3. Oh wow. I love Clarke, so I can't wait to get caught up visiting everyone so I can read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it :)

      Delete
    2. I just finished this. It was excellent. At first, I thought of Jaws, but soon realized it was far, far better than that. Yes, I LOVED it. I am a huge Clarke fan.

      Delete
    3. He saw climate change coming way back when. Brilliant man!

      Delete
    4. Speaking of which, did you see the marches on Friday? The whole world (except for our inept leader) is finally waking up to what I've been preaching for YEARS.

      Delete
    5. Yes, there was a small gathering downtown here, though my husband was home and we didn't go. You've been right all along, and I don't understand how our "leaders" can just ignore science :(

      Delete
  4. I not heard of this one, it's so interesting that he wrote this in 1954 too, he was such an imaginative writer 😀. Thanks for sharing and wishing you a happy Friday and Weekend! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His first professional sale was in 1946. He had a long career!

      Delete
  5. Thanks, another story to read when the days get shorter. Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the cooler weather comes with the shorter days. We're still have record-breaking highs in the upper 90s :( I like hot weather, but I'm ready for the seasonal changes.

      Delete