Saturday, July 20, 2024

They Called Us Enemy

image from Wikipedia

They Called Us Enemy is an award-winning 2019 graphic novel, George Takei's memoir of his time in an internment camp for Japanese Americans during World War 2. You can read it online (borrow it from the Internet Archive here). I read it for my church women's reading group. This is an important reminder for those of us who know this history and an excellent introduction for those who don't or who only know part of what happened.

Takei reads one section of it, using illustrations from the book:



*******

18 comments:

  1. ...when is comes to George Takei, some still call him the enemy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some people are judgmental bigots. It's sad.

      Delete
  2. These are important pieces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that his making history more accessible.

      Delete
  3. I love George Takei

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He says important things but also has a great sense of humor. A good combination.

      Delete
  4. I had vaguely heard of this book. Great recommendation! Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will listen to the YouTube piece later on, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good, giving a great picture of what the book itself is like.

      Delete
  6. George Takei is a great writer. I am putting this on my list of books to read.
    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a friend who loaned me the book. It certainly is an eye opener, especially what they had to deal with in "camp."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that afterwards they found everything they'd had taken from them. It's a shocking story.

      Delete
  8. Not only a great actor but a story teller too. I would love to check this out. I do like a graphic novel. Enjoy the rest of your weekend Nita.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I so admire Takei and what he has done to share his story -- both this way, through interviews and the musical he wrote about his life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. He's using his influence for good.

      Delete