Saturday, July 13, 2024

The Boys from Brazil

The Boys from Brazil (Amazon Prime, Tubi, Plex, Pluto TV) is a 1978 thriller film directed by Franklin J. Schaffner, starring Gregory Peck and Laurence Olivier and featuring James Mason, Lilli Palmer, Uta Hagen, Anne Meara, Denholm Elliott, and Steve Guttenberg in supporting roles. It is based on the 1976 novel of the same title by Ira Levin. It is about Nazi hunters and a plot set in motion by Josef Mengele. I remember when this came out but had forgotten it til I saw it mentioned on one of those movie lists I'm such a sucker for. James Mason is always worth watching, but the film itself is worth watching.

trailer:



*******

20 comments:

  1. ...the need for Nazi hunters will never end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And here we were thinking they would die out with that generation :(

      Delete
  2. What a coincidence. I saw this in May or June on Prime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember seeing this a long time ago. I hope this doesn't give the Maga-idjits any ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're already busy promoting Fascist ideas :(

      Delete
  4. Admittedly, I don't remember all the many, many movies I have seen very well, but this one! It may seem more dated now if I watch it again, but I'm sure it would still have an impact.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. It's scary to think there are still people who admire fascism and Naziism.

      Delete
  5. Now THIS was a cast. I love James Mason too -- so ignored in the Oscar races and such a fine actor. But the whole cast is good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That voice! James Mason was a treasure.

      Delete
  6. I've heard of it. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Part of me misses watching TV and movies while traveling, other parts, not at all. But I now have the hankering to watch this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought about the lack of tv and movies because you always sound so busy... I'm thinking I'd miss it most at night.

      Delete
  8. That's an oldie. I forgot about this film too. But it has a super cast.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do recall seeing this.
    A good cast.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete