Wednesday, July 10, 2024

Tommy (1975)

Tommy is a 1975 British musical fantasy drama film written and directed by Ken Russell and based on The Who's 1969 rock opera album Tommy. It's about a "psychosomatically deaf, mute, and blind" boy who becomes a pinball champion and religious leader. I'd never seen it before and saw it listed as "leaving soon" on one of the streaming services I subscribe to. It's no longer available free anywhere. It's such a dated work that I'm not sure it's watchable unless you were a young adult in the late '60s-early '70s. Unless you watch it for the cast, that is. The cast is priceless. The film featured a star-studded ensemble cast, including the band members themselves (most notably, lead singer Roger Daltrey, who plays the title role), Ann-Margret, Oliver Reed, Eric Clapton, Tina Turner, Elton John, Robert Powell and Jack Nicholson.

trailer:



*******

16 comments:

  1. ...sadly, this one passed me by too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do remember when it came out, so there's that lol

      Delete
  2. Oh, I remember that coming out back in the day, but I was home with a very sickly toddler at the time. Not sure I'd want to go back and watch it now or not--lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many other movies that'd probably be more interesting and more fun now.

      Delete
  3. I haven't seen this in ages but you're spot on about the cast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't realized it had such a great cast.

      Delete
  4. Saw that in the theater, guess that shows how old I am :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same generation as I am, I see. It just passed me by at the time.

      Delete
  5. I remember this film. It was a great teenage film and had a great cast.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I keep saying I was born a generation too late. This is the music I was playing when my friends were playing disco. Too bad it doesn't seem to be available. I would LOVE to see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can never understand why some things are impossible to find streaming.

      Delete
  7. The first thought that came to mind when I saw your title was Tommy Boy. Totally different than Tommy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my! This was back in 1975! Where have the years gone?

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In some ways it feels like yesterday.

      Delete