Thursday, July 04, 2024

Mary Poppins

Mary Poppins (Disney+) is an award-winning 1964 musical fantasy comedy film based on P. L. Travers's book series Mary Poppins. The film, which combines live-action and animation, stars Julie Andrews in her feature film debut as Mary Poppins. Dick Van Dyke, David Tomlinson, and Glynis Johns have supporting roles. Dick Van Dyke's accent is much ridiculed, but it's a kids' movie from the 1960s; give him a break. I remember when this movie came out and saw it first run in the theater. It's a real treasure, and I've always enjoyed it. The books are great fun, too.

trailer:



My absolute favorite song from this film is Sister Suffragette, with Glynnis Johns:



especially in these days when women are having rights revoked and Republicans are openly advocating against women's suffrage.

I've also always liked Feed the Birds:

10 comments:

  1. ...you sure are a fan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was the first movie I ever saw in the theater. My Nana took me and it was a big surprise. I love this movie, maybe because of my youthful experience or maybe just because it's a great kid's film. Happy July 4!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're celebrating Alice in Wonderland Day instead :(

      Delete
  3. Mary Poppins always makes me smile. We tried to get the kids into it this year. Boys, 5 and 7. It didn't have enough action for them. Alas.... what they miss....

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is the best! I love this one. We used to sing it, play the record all the time. Hubby knows all the words, but isn't allowed to sing! 😜

    ReplyDelete
  5. A classic!
    I wish I could feed the birds. :(

    ReplyDelete