Monday, November 06, 2023

The Wonderful World of Henry Sugar

The Wonderful World of Henry Sugar (Netflix) is a 2023 fantasy short film written, co-produced, and directed by Wes Anderson, based on the 1977 short story "The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar" by Roald Dahl. It stars Benedict Cumberbatch (as the title character), Ralph Fiennes, Dev Patel, Ben Kingsley, and Richard Ayoade. The story sees a rich man learning about a clairvoyant guru who could see without using his eyes through the power of a particular form of Yoga, then setting out to master the skill in order to cheat at gambling. There are several other short films grouped with this one. All are worth seeing.

trailer:



Roger Ebert's website gives it a full 4-star review and says, "It’s disarming and lovely to see a spiritual growth parable rendered in Anderson’s jewel-box style." Rolling Stone opens a positive review with this: "The first of four featurettes adapting the works of Roald Dahl for Netflix, the Fantastic Mr. Fox filmmaker’s tribute to the eccentric author is short, sharp, and totally sublime". Esquire has a glowing review.

*******

18 comments:

  1. ...new for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll get Netflix briefly to watch the Crown. I need to see this one, too! Wes and Cumberbatch? I'm in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. there are several of these shorts and I enjoyed each one

    ReplyDelete
  4. I watched all four of these odd little films. A little on the dark side. Great actors involved, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved these films, they were really good! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't heard of this one, but anything based on a Roald Dahl book, must be a pretty good story. Unless of course it ignores Dahl's story. But Wes Anderson is a good director, so I bet this was good. Hope it was a good day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read much Dahl, so I can't speak to that... I'd bet some of the reviews address that, but sadly I didn't even notice :(

      Delete
  7. As much as I love Benedict Cumberbatch, I don't have Netflix, so no sense watching the trailer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watch lots of trailers when I've no interest in seeing the film itself. Netflix is one we're keeping so far, but then we don't have cable so those are the entertainment dollars we're using for the streaming services. We can't do it all.

      Delete
  8. Love Benedict Cumberbatch and I bet it's a great story if based Roald Dahl 😊. Happy wishes! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm assuming it doesn't take too many liberties, but I don't know that.

      Delete