Tuesday, November 14, 2023

Happy Birthday (tomorrow), Petula Clark!



Join me in a cuppa over at the T Stands for Tuesday blogger gathering. I'm getting ready to celebrate the 91st birthday of Petula Clark, who was born on November 15, 1932. According to Wikipedia, she is a British singer, actress, and songwriter and has had one of the longest careers of any British singer, spanning more than eight decades.

In late 1964 Clark's success extended to the United States with a four-year run of career-defining, often upbeat singles. These songs include her signature song "Downtown", "I Know a Place", "My Love", "A Sign of the Times", "I Couldn't Live Without Your Love", "Who Am I", "Colour My World", "This Is My Song" (by Charles Chaplin), "Don't Sleep in the Subway", "The Other Man's Grass Is Always Greener", and "Kiss Me Goodbye". In the US, Clark was sometimes called "the First Lady of the British Invasion". She had nine Top 20 hits in the U.S. between 1964 and 1968. Clark has sold more than 68 million records.

Downtown:



My Love:



Sign of the Times:



I have fond memories of singing these along with the radio when I was a child.

19 comments:

  1. Those were fun videos. The lyrics were understandable, there was a story & in the last one fun dancers. Good for a dull November day :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...her music was full of energy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just loved Pet. I'll be belting out "Downtown" all day long. Happy memories and Happy T Day

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can't go wrong with Petula Clark, nor that pretty mug. You have a nice collection Nita. (And I've said that before-I know.) Happy T day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. She was a big hit way back in my youth, and I loved her songs! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  6. She did have songs you could sing along with, that's for sure. She was easy on the eyes, too, for all the guys--but so sweet and had an innocence about her that the gals liked her, too. Come to think of it--all the ladies had to have that back then...an innocence. Even the girl groups. The first one who kind of broke that mold later was Cher that I recall. Can you think of any female singers who were overtly sexy back then besides Cher? And she was sexy later when their show was on...and she was married, can't forget that--lol!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I knew the melody and lyrics but hearing the original recording seemed like a revelation!
    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. A trip down memory lane.. Enjoyed this so much.. Thank you Divers! Happy T day! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't recognize her by her name, but I did know the song Downtown. I enjoyed the videos. The dancing in the Sign of the Times was very funny as were the outfits. Loving the mug!
    Happy Tea Day,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous12:19 PM

    We listen to hits of he sixties in our sons car when we take the GSs to school and they play Petula Clarks songs, she was hugely popular when I was growing up, I still remember all the words LOL. Jan S

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous12:23 PM

    I remember getting ready for school and hearing My Love on the kitchen radio. I don't know why it will only post as anonymous,Bob

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have never heard of her - but with your sweet memories: A Birthday celebration seems just right! Cheers and happy T-Day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy 91st to Petula, is she still singing? Lovely mug, Happy T Day! Elle xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm afraid I'll be humming that "Downtown" song for the rest of the day... I don't know many of her songs, but that one for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I always liked her music and her voice!

    ReplyDelete
  16. She is beautiful. I remember Downtown, but none of the others. I had no idea she was such an icon. LOVE that mug you shared today. Thanks for the great videos and coffee you shared with us for T this Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh yes, I know these songs, too - although it is so many years ago....but still to sing along with. Happy T-day and all the best
    Violetta

    ReplyDelete
  18. Tomorrow morning I am going to get those songs playing and sing along properly- Petula Clark song such brilliant songs - I remember going to see her on stage in the 60s! Belated Happy T Day, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  19. I always enjoyed her music.
    I'm now singing "Downtown" :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete