Sunday, October 13, 2019

The Wedding Knell


The Wedding Knell is an 1837 short story by Nathaniel Hawthorne. This story might be horrifying to the young and perhaps to those who have not come to a peaceful acceptance of death, but it's a solid story of one of life's truths brought to this elderly couple on their wedding day. A lost youth certainly doesn't mean that all is lost. My favorite quote: "The young have less charity for aged follies than the old for those of youth."

You can read it online here. It begins,
There is a certain church in the city of New York which I have always regarded with peculiar interest, on account of a marriage there solemnized, under very singular circumstances, in my grandmother's girlhood. That venerable lady chanced to be a spectator of the scene, and ever after made it her favorite narrative. Whether the edifice now standing on the same site be the identical one to which she referred, I am not antiquarian enough to know; nor would it be worth while to correct myself, perhaps, of an agreeable error, by reading the date of its erection on the tablet over the door. It is a stately church, surrounded by an inclosure of the loveliest green, within which appear urns, pillars, obelisks, and other forms of monumental marble, the tributes of private affection, or more splendid memorials of historic dust. With such a place, though the tumult of the city rolls beneath its tower, one would be willing to connect some legendary interest.

The marriage might be considered as the result of an early engagement, though there had been two intermediate weddings on the lady's part, and forty years of celibacy on that of the gentleman.
You can listen to it here:


12 comments:

  1. Perhaps to find some time today. I like Hawthorne's Scarlet Letter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've liked his other works more. I'm not sure why they assign Scarlet Letter in school when there are so many other options.

      Delete
  2. I thought Nathaniel Hawthorne was a bit dry back in my school days but maybe it is time to try him again. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. House of 7 Gables may be the most boring book I ever read lol He wrote a lot of stories more interesting than what they assigned us in school.

      Delete
  3. I liked the excerpt you included. But right now, trying to go through all the thousands of books in the GA house I don’t dare reading some that are not here. My husband may have had some Hawthorne, but I am not sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the best thing about these public domain works :) They're right here on the internet without taking up any space in the house :)

      Delete
  4. I'm definitely not ready to accept death, so I think I'll pass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've accepted that death comes to us all. That's really all I meant.

      Delete
  5. Thanks, another one for my winter list. Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hawthorne's a good pick :) And the short stories are so easy to fit into a day.

      Delete
  6. That is a great line about age & youth follies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure it's true, though, as I hear old folks complain about "kids these days" lol

      Delete