Sunday, October 20, 2019

Harbinger Down

Harbinger Down is a 2015 science fiction/horror film. Following a pod of beluga whales in the Bering Sea, scientists discover a downed Soviet spacecraft that was part of a failed experiment to radiation-proof their cosmonauts. The creature effects were a nice change from all the digital effects I see. This film gets to the point and tells its story without getting bogged down in too much interpersonal drama. I like my science fiction/horror to have enough relationship exploration so that the characters are real people without so much that it distracts from the reason I'm watching this kind of movie to begin with. This has a nice balance.

You can watch it at tubi tv or here via Youtube:




Here's a trailer:



Horror Freak News calls it "a fun pic". Moria says, "[Director] Gillis is operating with a modest budget, nevertheless manages to produce a film that captures the essence of Carpenter’s The Thing far more so than any other challenger to date." Modern Horrors calls it "a solid film".

6 comments:

  1. Reminds me of a scary version of The Abyss

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I've seen The Abyss. I'll have to look for it. Thx! :)

      Delete
  2. This sounds like one the hubby would like. I will suggest it to him. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like something good for a long, dark evening! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I came across this one, though now I can't remember where I saw it recommended...

      Delete