Monday, October 28, 2019

57 Reasons for the Slate Quarry Suicides


57 Reasons for the Slate Quarry Suicides is an award-winning 2013 horror short story by Sam J. Miller. You can read it online here. It begins,
1. Because it would take the patience of a saint or Dalai Lama to smilingly turn the other cheek to those six savage boys day after day, to emerge unembittered from each new round of psychological and physical assaults; whereas I, Jared Shumsky, aged sixteen, have many things, like pimples and the bottom bunk bed in a trailer, and clothes that smell like cherry car air fresheners, but no particular strength or patience.

2. Because God, or the universe, or karma, or Charles Darwin, gave me a different strength, one that terrified me until I learned what it was, and how to control it, and how to use it as the instrument of my brutal and magnificent and long-postponed vengeance.

12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It's different, definitely different.

      Delete
  2. Weird story, but I am fascinated by it being told in a numbered list! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never seen a story structured that way.

      Delete
  3. I am liking the idea of a psychological thriller.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds most intriguing! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I can only imagine what a teen boy could do about revenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, especially is you have certain special skills.

      Delete