Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Mill of the Stone Women

Mill of the Stone Women is a 1960 Italian horror film, the first filmed in color. It's about a 19th century art professor in Holland who is trying to keep his sick daughter alive. She falls in love with a visiting assistant who rejects her in favor of his childhood sweetheart.



Moria says,
What makes Mill of the Stone Women stand out is the colour photography and the production design. The mill’s most striking set-piece is the carousel where we see mannequins moving around in a circuit depicting various tableaux of witches at the stake, women being hung, poisoners and a representation of Kali. These are vivid and striking.
DVD Talk calls it "an artfully contrived horror concoction". ClassicHorror.com says, "This neglected gem is a masterwork of gothic terror that deserves to be ranked among the highlights of a decade filled with macabre Italian delights."


8 comments:

  1. Macabre Italian delights: Hawaiian Pizza 😱

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't get it to load in my browser. All I got was a blinking circle and the words "Film Gorillas."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It works for me. I'm using Chrome. Here's the direct link to the Daily Motion video: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2rz0s6 in case it might work better for you.

      Delete
    2. I got it to load when I came back tonight. Not sure what happened before. BTW, I use Firefox and a Linux operating system.

      Delete
    3. I had trouble with Firefox on my old computer. I need to try it again on this one.

      Delete
  3. This film sounds ghastly, great for a dark evening! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, ax murders aren't my favorite horror sub-genre lol

      Delete