Friday, October 18, 2019

Son of Frankenstein

Son of Frankenstein is a 1939 horror film, the third in the Boris Karloff Frankenstein franchise. Boris Karloff makes his last appearance as The Monster in this film. Bela Lugosi is wonderful as Ygor. Basil Rathbone plays Baron Frankenstein, Lionel Atwill is Inspector Krogh, and Ward Bond has an uncredited role. Donnie Dunagan, a noted child actor who was the voice of Disney's Bambi, plays the youngest Frankenstein. Dunagan has a Memphis connection.

trailer:


Variety has a review from the time of the film's original release, as does the New York Times.

Classic Horror says, "It's a solid chiller from the studio that really knew solid chillers." Den of Geek says, "Simply put – an absolute delight." DVD Talk opens with this: "This first non-James Whale Frankenstein film has a lot going for it, besides its powerhouse cast." Rotten Tomatoes has a critics consensus score of 91%.

16 comments:

  1. Another great classic!
    Did you like the old Mummy movies, too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That first Karloff Mummy movie is one of my favorites :)

      Delete
    2. Yes! Karloff did the best monsters! Monsters with heart. :)

      Delete
    3. He could accomplish so much with just his eyes.

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed the trailer, my friend. A great classic film! Kisses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This isn't my favorite, but I think the whole series is worth watching :)

      Delete
  3. I've never seen it, but I've heard of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not shown as much. I don't think I've ever seen it on TV.

      Delete
  4. Another Film I loved and Sneaked into back in the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never seen it on a big screen, but it does make for a different experience.

      Delete
  5. A Horror classic! I'm not sure but I think I may have actually watched this one a long long time ago 😀. Wishing you a wonderful weekend! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a DVD set of this franchise, and I'm not sure I'd seen it before we got it on DVD.

      Delete
  6. I'd forgotten about this one. As I've said before, I do like these vintage monster films.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a lot to be said for these old ones. I wonder if folks who say they don't like horror and don't approve of it even realize these films are horror movies.

      Delete