Thursday, October 24, 2019

The Breakfast

After Breakfast, by Elin Danielson-Gambogi

The Breakfast is a 1961 short story by Amparo Dávila. You can read it online here. It begins,
When Carmen came down to breakfast at the family’s usual hour of seven thirty, she hadn’t dressed yet, but was wrapped in her navy-blue bathrobe with her hair in disarray. This wasn’t all that caught the attention of her parents and her brother, though; it was her haggard face, with hollows around the eyes, like the face of someone who’s had a bad night or is very ill. She said good morning in an automatic way and sat at the table, nearly collapsing into her chair.

“What happened to you?” her father asked, studying her carefully.

16 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I had never heard of this author before running across this story online.

      Delete
  2. What an intriguing beginning! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I thought so. Sometimes you have to work to get "into" a story, but not with this one :)

      Delete
  3. This sounds interesting. I've saved the link (as usual).

    Are you ready for Halloween? One week from today. (I've only had time to create a few art pieces for it. They'll start auto-posting beginning tomorrow. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm ready! I do love October and Halloween in particular :)

      Delete
  4. Someone is desperate for a cup of tea or coffee 😺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "collapsing into her chair" lol I feel her pain.

      Delete
  5. I absolutely LOVE the painting. Today this painting would be censored because of the cigarette (grin).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finding a photo that went with the story was the most fun part of this post lol

      Delete
  6. Was the ending I expected. Good one for Halloween. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fun finding things for the season that are unfamiliar to me :)

      Delete
  7. I've never heard of this author before and the beginning makes me want to read it to see what happened to Carmen 😀. I hope you've had a lovely week! Wishing you a happy Friday and Weekend! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. New to me, too :)

      We're having seasonal cool rain today and tomorrow. I've put suet out for the birds and hope to see the Return of the Woodpeckers lol That's the excitement I'm looking forward to :)

      Delete
  8. Oh to have time to lounge at the table after breakfast as that girl in the painting appears to be doing. That would be nice! Happy weekend. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the time, and relaxing over that morning cuppa is such a fine thing :)

      Delete