Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Scoured Silk


Scoured Silk is a horror story written in the 1940s by Marjorie Bowen. During Octobers I focus on horror films and stories, and I'd like to share this one for T Stands for Tuesday, a blogger gathering where the posts must contain a drink reference. This is an excerpt from the story:
Her thoughts were quite vague and amounted to no more than a confused sense that something was wrong, but she lost her satisfaction in the tea-drinking and the pleasant company, and the warm room with the drawn curtains, and the bright fire, and rose up saying they must be returning
I'm having a seasonal hot beverage while I read these spooky stories. Join me? Perhaps the company will take the edge off the horror to come.


You can read the story online here. It begins:
This is a tale that might be told in many ways and from various points of view; it has to be gathered from here and there — a letter, a report, a diary, a casual reference; in its day the thing was more than a passing wonder, and it left a mark of abiding horror on the neighborhood.

The house in which Mr. Orford lived has finally been destroyed, the mural tablet in St. Paul’s, Covent Garden, may be sought for in vain by the curious, but little remains of the old piazza where the quiet scholar passed on his daily walks, the very records of what was once so real have become blurred, almost incoherent in their pleadings with things forgotten; but this thing happened to real people, in a real London, not so long ago that the generation had not spoken with those who remembered some of the actors in this terrible drama.

It is round the person of Humphrey Orford that this tale turns, as, at the time, all the mystery and horror centered; yet until his personality was brought thus tragically into fame, he had not been an object of much interest to many; he had, perhaps, a mild reputation for eccentricity, but this was founded merely on the fact that he refused to partake of the amusements of his neighbors, and showed a dislike for much company.
I'm typing on a new computer, and I can't tell you how happy I am we were able to take care of this issue without too much stress. I think I've managed to find everybody again, but I doubt I'll ever catch up *sigh*

17 comments:

  1. Welcome back! Glad you're able to rejoin us in the ether. Happy T Day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to figure out how to work my blog on my phone lol like I do Facebook.

      Delete
    2. Don't know what kind of phone you have. I have an iPhone and iPad. I've had problems trying to blog on the iPad. I can leave comments using the iPad and Chrome. I haven't tried blogging or commenting using the phone. Tiny screen. 👀

      Delete
    3. I have an old Samsung Galaxy. I can do FB on it with no problem, but anything on blogger is just unmanageable :(

      Delete
  2. Sounds good! Coffee sounds even better. Happy T Day, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another interesting drink reference and story. Glad you're up and running again with some new computer equipment.
    I don't know how to work my blog from my phone either:)
    Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you have a new computer-we are so connected to the outside world we need one haha I know I do we have always lived so rural with not many friends that the computer has all my friends in it.
    Enjoy your horror story Happy T wishes Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Catching up is a bear. I STILL haven't caught up after my squirrel debacle. I am SO glad to read you got a new computer. It's one thing if it's planned and you can get your old data transferred to the new one. It's another thing when it dies and you are left with no or very little back up data.

    I absolutely LOVE the photo of your French press coffee and your sunflower mug. My sunflowers died from too much water. I know how much you love your horror stories in October, so I'm glad you found a passage in this Scoured Silk to share with us, along with your French press coffee for T this this Tuesday. Welcome back into the land of computing (or is that computering) again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy to join you for a cuppa, but I'll skip the horror ... lol 😉. I'm loving your mug design, so lovely for the fall! Glad that you now have a new computer, enjoy 😁. Happy T Tuesday! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, this is the time for horror-stories and hot drinks! And yay for a new computer, too! A happy T-Day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay, welcome back. I'm glad you got your computer problem sorted and are back online, D. The story sounds interesting, like a mystery more than a horror story (which I don't care for).

    Happy T-day! Eileen xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. The book sounds good, but I am not a fan of horror stories, but your fresh coffee looked lovely, beside the pretty cup.
    Happy T day wishes.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. How exciting to have a new computer. And who can ever catch up. I don't think any of us mind if you just do your best. hugs-Erika oh and hope it was a happy T day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry to say but I won't be trying to find your horror choices!!! Coffee however is a very good idea! Belated Happy T Day! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for another coffee time story.
    Congratulations on your new computer! Nice one!
    Happy belated T-Day,
    Hugs,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds like a good horror novel. I saved the link. (I'm so far behind on my list of books to read.) I've been dealing with a new computer myself. (That's what's occupying most of my time.) Unfortunately it has been slow going for me. Your seasonal hot beverage looks good. Happy Belated T-Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They oughta just turn on and work. The machinations I had to work before it would finally deign allow me to download chrome were trials of fire :(

      Delete