Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Bride of Frankenstein (1935)

Bride of Frankenstein is the 1935 sequel to the Boris Karloff Frankenstein movie. We have this in a box set that was issued on one of the anniversaries. I often see this mentioned as the best of this franchise, but I much prefer the original.

You can watch it online at Internet Archive. Here's a trailer:


It's #18 on The Guardian's list of best horror films of all time. Variety has a review from the time of the film's release, as does the New York Times.

Film Site calls it a "classic masterpiece". Horror News says, "Bride Of Frankenstein is one of the few genuine classics of the genre." Classic Horror says it's "the best horror film of the 1930s".

Roger Ebert has it on his Great Movie list. Rotten Tomatoes has a critics consensus score of 100%.

10 comments:

  1. 💙 this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband loves this one, too :) I just get irritated with Dr. Pretorious lol

      Delete
  2. Yes, truly a classic! I do love the old black and white monster movies. Boris was my favorite Frankenstein's monster. He could show so much heart with his eyes and actions despite all the make-up and costume. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was priceless :) I'm glad he embraced the horror roles like he did.

      Delete
  3. I remember sneaking Into the cinema to see this when I was underage, such chilling fun! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never seen this, but I HAVE heard of it. I hope to watch it if I ever get caught up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you'll let me know what you think of it :)

      Delete
  5. I liked this one also. These vintage films are fun for the holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those early monster movies were the first we let the kids see of horror movies :)

      Delete